Budget Stack!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LizardKing45, Mar 23, 2001.

1. I am itchin to get my hands on a new amp, because my BX-15 simply isnt cutting it. Even when i play with my friends with a 10w 6" speaker guitar amp, it can barely cut through. Also, I am planning on starting a band very soon, and it would be nice to have a nice amp i can be heard with. My biggest problem is cash. I am getting a job very soon for summer, and i am going to use my funds to buy a new amp. I do not, however, want to buy a 100w combo type amp, because I will need to upgrade again, and buy a head/stack system when I outgrow that. I think i am going to take the larger initial investment option over the more cash over time option. So, heres my real question: Whats a good, cheap amp/cab setup i can get? I will most likely be playing hardcore music with a band, when i get one together, but i also enjoy playing reggae, dub, and funk (diverse eh?). So i would assume a 2x10 or a 4x10 would be best for the diversity. I will most likely end up with a 2x10 for now, and adding a 15 later. What cheap amp heads do you guys reccomend? I dont want total crap, but i think that eden and swr are a bit out of reach, with the exception of the (used) workingman's series. I am most likely going to look for a used amp, and it seems that i am leaning toward a Hartke, either 2000 or 3500, and used I have seen them for $200-300 ish. That seems like the best option for a head, but i am open to all suggestions. Also, what cabs do you reccomend in the $200-300 price range? Once again, i am most likely going to look used. I would really like to get away with a decent starter system for around $500. Thanx for reading my long post guys, and as always, your opinions are greatly valued.
  2. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    hartke ha3500 is the way to go man, and for cabs, maybe get a used peavey 215 or used ampeg 410 ...
  3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Here goes... I suggest getting a Peavey 115BXBW cab, and getting a Peavey nitrobass head.

(the 115BXBW's get more highs then you expect, they're REALLY good on range. And less expensive than a 410TXF (or TVX) My rig's a Peavey Firebass II 700 head, Peavey 410TXF, and Peavey 115BXBW cab's. Great range. (just so you know I'm speaking from experience.)

And for the price? You can't beat it. Get the 115BXBW in a 4 ohm model. It should put you at a good wattage, with still enough independance.
  4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    if you are willing to go mail order Carvin makes a good cabinet, there 2x10's are only $300 + shipping, I know their 4x10 cabs sound great, so Id imagine their 2x10's sound good as well. And if you went with the Hartke 2000 head, that would be ample power to push the 2x10's and those heads do sound pretty good. Just alot of high end hiss from all Hartke heads that Ive seen. But I know the Hartke and Carvin set up will give you a killer sound. That should also put you right around the $500 mark maybe a tad over.

I dont recomend to anyone buying a used cab, you dont know how much strain has been put on the speakers and how close they are to blowing, they could sound great one day and blow the very next because they may have been over exerted by the previous owner.

heres a link to carvin just in case you want to check them out
  5. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    The Hartke 3500 is great. I've had mine for a week now and I love it. No complaints about high end hiss here (and mine was made in '92!)- but I never use the compressor and rarely the 10-band EQ.

I'm using my Hartke with a Bag End S15-D, which is a 1x15" 8-ohm cab. I can't say enough good things about it. The rig cost me ~$650 total, including shipping. I snagged the last S15-D from zzounds.com for $349; I think you can usually find them for between $365 and $399. I know it's a little over your price range, but imho these cabs sound sweet-- and you might be able to find a used one within your budget.

Hope this helps! :)
  6. a budget heh? well at least you have $300 to spend.

I managed to get a 4X10 cab, does the job really nicely for my death metal band. As for heads, well i borrowed a PA amp 100watts, and i use that for now. If you have some know how, build one... i am just buy the bits, i'm sure a electronics store sells the circuit boards..

If thats not the go, why not try second hand? Try the Trading Post or Cash Converters (don't what they're called in your area). You'd be surprised at the quality of second hand, some people buy a amp head, use it for a year then upgrade, but the head is still in good nick.... Just a thought, hell it saves money.

7. i think the best thing to do is ask around, or go for used equipment!! but also i would try ebay for something cool and in your range. i got my stack froma friend of my cousin which is cool for what i got, which was trace elliot ah200s head, trace 4x10 and carvin 1x15, i got it for only $400 which is great it is actually my first bass amp. i use to play out of a vintage tube guitar amp!! i would just ask someone if they know anyone who selling bass stuff!!
  8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Don't get used, then you have to worry about what went wrong, and if there is, you can't take it back.

Get the Peavey Nitrobass head, and Peavey 115BXBW. 115BXBW can hold 350 watts rms, and 700 program(or peak)

Nitrobass is 475 watts at 2 ohms, and I believe 300 at 4. So you should be pretty good, if you wanted to upgrade, you could always get a 210TVX cab then too. The nitrobass is only like $300 somethin', I believe. And the 115BXBW's only like $300 too. And it has all the features the Firebass does (I believe so atleast) and I wouldn't trade my firebass for another head if someone would give me an entire new rig for my firebass.

Atleast try the nitrobass out. It has no annoying graphic EQ. No annoying compressor to set (it uses DDT speaker protection which is just a button you press in that works VERY well)

It's atleast worth a try. I mean, my honest opinion would be to go with that, for a budget stack. And if you can't afford the nitrobass, you could always go with the deltabass (which is 160watts @ 4 ohms)

But, I strongly suggest the nitrobass... (it'll save you money in the long run. 475 watts is pleny of power. And better than any hartke head. Trust me, I traded my Hartke HA3500 for my Firebass, and I'm damned glad I did. Hartkes sound REALLY bad IMO. Especially the HA3500 series. The tube side of the preamp just adds clicking, and the solid state distorts really easily.)

Hope that helps.
  9. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    I know this doesnt fit the description of what you said you're looking for but here goes anyway. I bought a peavey Combo115 (not the tko or the tnt, this is a different one). I paid about 580 for it and i think its great. It would be easier to move than a stack, sounds good, and would give you enough volume to cut through and still have quite a bit of headroom if you are just practicing with a band with it. Its 210 watts and 300 watts with an extension cab. Also, peavey makes a combo210 (same preamp/power amp) but a 2X10 instead of a 15. Email me if you have questions.