Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Budget Studio Equipment

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by kasuals, Aug 28, 2001.

1. kasuals

kasuals

Jul 20, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I'm going to be purchasing a new recorder soon. I currently have a Tascam 4 track, and I need something with at least 2 more tracks.

I'm on at least a $300.00 budget. Does anything good come to mind that will allow me to at least create a decent demo?

I know of Tascam, and I'm probably going to look on the web at Tascam recorders, but are there any that I should look into that are of greater quality than Tascam?

2. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Unfortunately, the standadards for what constitutes a "decent" demo have risen tremendously in the past few years. I'm not sure it's possible to use a cassette multitrack for that purpose (unless you just need it decent enough for the other guys in your band to learn your tunes).

If you have access to a computer with a decent memory, speed and sound card, you may want to look into spending $40 for PG Music's Powertracks program which allows you to record more than 40 tracks of sound and midi to your hard drive. The only other new piece of equipment you might need would be a converter from a 1/4 inch plug to a mini plug so you can access the "line in" jack on the back of the computer. I've been using this program for 2 years now and have gotten some tremendous results, and all I have is a standard soundcard that came with my Gateway computer.

3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    How many tracks of live audio in that Powertaracks software? What mixdown capabilities does it have? I've never seen any software that could do much for the $40 price tag you mention.

Got a link to a website so I can look at it?

4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    www.pgmusic.com

Yowzer. This thing does EVERYTHING, except the controls aren't real time. Up to 48 tracks of live digital audio. And it's not $40 -- it's $29!

I am HIGHLY likely to be snagging a copy of this VERY soon...

5. If you dont want to switch to computer recording, you can digitaly record wiht stand alone units. There are tons of them out on the market, and the less expensive ones are the Boss BR-532 (its only a 4 track, but you can digitaly bounce tracks down, freeing up more tracks, and 32 virtual tracks, pm me if you dont know what this is) which is $400 new, but you should be able to talk them down to $350, the Boss br-8 (8 tracks, with the ability to bounce down tracks, so you really have a lot more room, and 64 virtual tracks) its a little more expensive, it goes for $600 new. then there are some others that i'm not so furmiliar with, such as the Zoom PS-02, which is VERY tiny, and i'm not sure about what its features are, and the Korg PRX-IV, which is 4 tracks, and built in usb output.