Budweiser True Music Battle of the Bands

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by dirk, Jul 18, 2004.

1. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I just thought I would share this story and perhaps inspire some of you guys to sympathize with the injustice my band faced this past Friday night.

Last Tuesday we received a call from our management team, telling us that 93x, a local Memphis alt-rock radio station, wanted us, Augustine, to come play Friday at a battle of the bands. We said sure, because we want a lot of folks to hear our music, and yes, we believed we were good enough to win. But when it came gig time, we found out, no matter how well we played we weren't eligible to win, because myself and one of our guitarists are under 21. Apparently it's in Budweiser's contract. True music my ass. We see another corporate marketing ploy. Getting us to drink Budweiser because we believe they promote "True Music". Boy, was I mistaken. My age has absolutely nothing to do with good music.

The positives that came from our performance: a lot of people heard us who had never heard us before. We were by far the tightest and most original band there, although we didn't win. And we've attracted some attention from a local radio station, who wants to play our music. That shows you even good can come from a bad situation, but the injustice still remains.

Thanks for letting me vent.

2. Hey, at least you got something out of it. True music is a tricky term to use, because very often it isn't the band who comes up with the most original or best music that wins, it's the one that appeals to more people. I'm sure there are people on the boards who have lost to bands that were carbon copies of every nu-metal band on MTV, but that's life and that's music these days. In your case, it was obviously another marketing ploy, and they obviously don't care about getting the best band to win.
  3. Arent budweiser the ones who had the radio commercial with NickelBack on it???? True music my ass
  4. Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    LAMO! XD

Well even though you didnt win, alot of people saw you and liked you. Even a radio station wanted to play your stuff! =D Pretty cool.
  5. Battle Of The Bands is the biggest crock of poo-gas beyond even "Pay To Play." Most BOBs have an entry fee, you don't get paid, if you have judges- it's up to their subjective taste , if it's up to the audience- the band that brings the most friends wins. There's also the whole matter of 'politics' of the local scene that complicates 'winning.' To top it all off it means nothing.

While the Budweiser thing could be cool because you can get a sponsorship deal out of it, and you did get exposure. Are you guys playing bars? Chances are playing shows and networking with other bands are going to do better at exposure than a BOB.

I was in a HORRIFYINGLY horrible band, but the guys had tons of friends and we won two of those things. (Forget Chicago elections, that band knew how to stuff ballot boxes!) Got a neat certificate which is long gone because it meant nothing. I've also been in really good bands and lost to good bands and lost to bad bands. Last year my band was nominated for independent single of the year for the LA Music Awards. It sounds cool and prestigious, but for the money we put into that thing, we paid our "entrance fee," flew out to LA TWICE, paid for our "tickets" to sell, and was a part of the biggest disorganized goatscrew of a show I've ever witnessed. In all actuality, could you honestly tell me a band, however good they may be, from halfway across the country was going to win the LA Music Awards? Didn't think so.

It's not that I'm upset about not winning. I could care less. I didn't want to do it, and didn't want to go. What torques me is that even though they knew our band wouldn't win, they knew they had 2 guys in the band (singer and drummer) with their heads in the clouds and confidence in their band and were willing to spend the money. And it was big buck$.

The only thing about the whole thing that was neat is that the pro wrestler formerly known as Chynna can be counted as one of our fans. :)

To sum it up, a BOB can offer a few good things, but if you have to lay money down stay away.
  6. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Everyone knows that gangsta rap is the only true music...well, that and karaoke...

(Barfs violently...)
  7. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Well, it got you out of the house for a little while, if nothing else. :D