Buffalo/Niagara Falls NY-area music stores

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DanGouge, Mar 1, 2006.

1. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Since I'm out of my Toronto base in Lewiston for half the week for school, I was wondering if there are any stores down here worth checking out. I don't want to drive all over, but I wouldn't mind seeing what's around here. Recommendations?
  2. Corwin

May 8, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    There's Jackson's out on the island. Should be especially convenient for you, being way up north like you are.
  3. If you're willing to go an hour east, check out House of Guitars in Irondequoit (just north of Rochester) for what has to be the biggest inventory I've ever seen at any music store--and also the worst presentation and maintenance practices.
  4. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Hmm, I will definitely check Jacksons, I got another recommendation just talking to locals today. House of Guitars sounds interesting, and maybe if I have the time for a field trip I will check into it. Grand Island, here I come...
  5. Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    +1 for Jackson's Music, probably the best of the homegrown shops around... there is of course GC:bag: ... theres a ton of smaller shops around, Kenmore Music, Airport Music, Music-Go-Round just to name the ones on the top of my head. Daddy's Junky Music was awesome until it burned down... a tear.

if you need luthiery or set-up type stuff, check out Monaco's, best place around
  6. DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    i agree 100% HOUSE OF GUITARS has a big inventory and a big mess as well
  7. I was shocked at the store setup when I went there!
  8. bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    There is:

Music Exchange (Orchard Park/ Hamburg), Jackson Music (Grand Island), Guitar Center (Niagara Falls Blvd.), Airport Music (Dick Rd. / Cayuga Rd.), Guitar Factory (Union Rd. West Senece / O.P.), maybe a couple others...

House of Guitars blew when I went there.
  9. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Yup, House of Guitars had about...maybe 15 basses total. Didn't really play any though, as the one time I went I was a total noob :p
  10. Ah, yeah, I guess their bass inventory ain't that great. I was more interested in guitars the couple of times I went there.

Isn't it just amazing how poorly they care for their instruments, though?
  11. chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Considering most of the instrments have been there for 15 or more years, it's probably hard for them to actually "take care" of them. That place has always beeen a mess. I haven't even been there in about 8 years and I could pretty much guarantee that 80% of the inventory is probably still the same. I have no idea how they've stayed in business.

It's a spectacle to see for sure, but that's about it. I'd never buy anything there for a number of reasons... including that their prices blow, the service is horrible, and everything in the place, if not cigarette smoke stained, has been handled more than a $5 hooker on a Saturday night.