Buffer between rack and cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dave Siff, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Hey guys and gals,
    Just wanted to get your opinion on something. A couple of weeks ago, there was a vibrating sound coming from my rig (turned out that one of the pull-out light bars on my Rack Rider had pulled out a touch.) Anyway, before we figured out what it was, the guitar player was saying that I really ought to have a square piece of foam between my rack and my top cabinet. He said the vibrations from the cabs are eventually gonna shake something loose inside my amp. I checked the rack screws on my amp and Rack Rider and they're all tight as a drum. Didn't look inside the amp.
    Does anyone do this -- put a buffer, such as a piece of foam, between your amp/rack and cabinets? Are they any pros or cons? Guitar boy gave me the foam but I haven't "installed" it yet and don't really intend to, unless someone gives me a compelling reason. Thanks!
  2. gunkle

gunkle Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2002
    I have an Ampeg SVP-Pro in my rack and I find that if I put the rack directly on top of my cab (Aguilar 212), I get what I have assumed was tube rattle.

I have a piece of foam that I put between the two and problem solved!

It's kind of annoying to bring the piece of foam around to gigs, but sometimes the foam doubles as rear car window protection.
  3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I use foam for that reason with my TUBE amp, although it couldn't hurt to use it with you rack as long as it doesn't present a balance problem. Many times intermittent problems with amps are created because of vibration. I think the foam is good insurance. YMMV
  4. LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
  5. BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    I use a carpeted door mat that has rubber on the bottom, with carpet side on the cab (almost works like velcro).

This keeps both sides secure (rack case sits nice on the rubber).

6. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    A buffer will also prevent those annoying "amp footprints" on your carpeted cabs.
  7. Er0

Jan 15, 2003
    St Louis MO
    my rack sits on the floor so i don't have this problem
  8. Hiya Dave,
    Me too, with the vibe thing. I have been using a black insulation foam that works pretty good. My Berg ht322 packs big punch and noticed at higher volumens some rack noise. I just bought an Aurlex Gramma and it is quite impressive. Sort of expensive for what you get, but their foam what ever it is really does the trick. I now use for it's intended purpose under my to small Bergs and also on top of my big Berg between the rack and cab. It is more than two long block of foam pieces and carpeted plywood. It has a different foam piece under on the underside with it's own baffleing properties. Has a hand handle too. I'm sure most TB's will say it's not worth it, but I'm liking it and find it versatile for my gear. Sweetwater carries them, I ordered it and got it the next day. I think its http://www.sweetwater.com/main.php