1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buffer/preamp questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lordradish, Jan 16, 2018.

1. lordradish

lordradish Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    Hey, folks,
    I have a pretty big pedal board (about 10 pedals) and I have a buffer at the beginning of it. I'm thinking about getting a preamp pedal just to get some more tone shaping... can I ditch the bufffer pedal, now, since the pre will be at the start of the chain? Is there any advantage to putting the pedal at the end of the chain? I do get a bit of tone degredation and being able to eq it at the end would be nice. If I put it at the end, should I leave the buffer at the beginning of signal chain? Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  2. lordradish

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    BUMP for some mojo.

3. I'd say that you should keep the buffer at the front end, UNLESS you have effects that rely on the PUP to load/sound right (some Muffs, for e.g.,).

At the other end, if you absolutely NEED something to regain your signal or shape it, maybe something like an MXR M81 preamp. It has Bass and Treble controls, as well as a semi-parametric Mid control (and Input and Output controls).

I used one before getting an Ampeg SCR-DI and Tronographic Rusty Box. I switched it out only because I actually wanted more of the sounds that the RB and SCR provide, rather than a straight Hi-Fi sound, which the M81 is pretty good at.

4. I like having a buffer at the beginning of the signal chain and some sort of preamp/tone shaper/conditioner at the end of my signal chain. Currently my buffer is an [sfx]microThumpinator but for many years it was an MXR Noise Gate Line Driver DI that I bought new in 1979. I like having a tone shaper at the end simply for convenience, so i don't have go to my amp for volume or tone tweaks.

5. lordradish

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    All good to know, thank you! I'm thinking of getting the Xotic, although if someone has some other recommendations, I'm all ears.

6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    The Xotic Bass BB Preamp? It's definitely more of an overdrive/distortion than a preamp.

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    When l ran 19 pedals on my board l had a tube buffer at the end and it worked well and l was running five different preamp pedals

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    lately i've been running a clinchFX EP-3 echoplex preamp in front of my effects chain as an always on and i'm diggin' what it's doing.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Dee-man likes this.
  9. lordradish

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    No buffer?

10. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    well, it is working like a buffer.

11. I've always thought a buffer needed to be as close to the bass as possible, if not built into the bass.
    Isn't the primary purpose for having a buffer, to lower the Impedance so that the bass is not impacted as much by cable capacitance?
    I am strictly talking about just the buffer function and disregarding other features that may come with some pre-amps/active systems.

12. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yes.

13. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I've got a BrightOnion one for when I'm not using my wireless.