Buffing out surface scratches

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Davo737, Dec 25, 2002.

1. Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I was wondering if anyone had some good techniques for buffing our very very light surface scratches (under the g string from slapping) in a polyurethane finish?

Thanks everyone...

2. I've used a really neat polishing method given to me by one of the regulars over on the MIMF. I used it to polish fine scratches in some poly on a repair I did. It's called "French Polishing" and uses shellac and mineral oil. This method is sort of a cheap, down & dirty version of the more labor intensive french polish used on new instruments.

Using a Bounty paper towel, dab on a little mineral oil and another equal amount of shellac. Then rub it into the poly finish with some elbow grease. Your scratches will disappear. Let the area harden and dry and you can then wax like usual.

Works great!
  3. Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks Hambone!

I'll give it a shot.

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Don't know if this works with polyurethane, but a trick I picked up from somewhere is to use toothpaste and water with your finger or a small rag for very minute scratches. Sounds funny, but it acts like very fine rubbing compound. Smells good too! :D
  5. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Should one consider the color (darker or lighter) of the shellac?
  6. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Micromesh abrasives followed by some Meguiar's #9. Micromesh kits are available from Stew-Mac and other suppliers. The grits range from 1,500 to 12,000. That's not a typo. The abrasive system is used with a foam backer pad and water. You don't have to push hard. I do a random circular pattern. Others will sand with the grain. Choice is yours. Start with 3200 grit and see if that removes the scratches in a reasonable amount of time. If it doesn't, move back a step until the scratches disappear and you have an even scratch pattern. Make sure to clean up after each grit. Finish up with some Meguiar's #9 on a soft cloth. Total time, if you are handy, is about twenty minutes for a 5-15 sq. in. area if the scratches are not deep. It takes some elbow grease but you should be able to restore the finish to a pristine surface.
  7. Simple trick, I use a very small amount of high-grit sanding and then colour restorer for auto bodywork (it has micro-abrasives in it), with a buffer on a drill. Takes care of scratches in a few minutes, makes everything shine. You gotta be careful, though, don't wanna damage your clearcoat.