Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buffing scratches in clearcoat.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Trevorus, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Does anyone know of a good product to buff scratches out of clearcoat? I want to get rid of some small ones and reduce the appearance of some others, but still leave that glassy look. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Bump. I'm having this problem, too. I tried a product for automobile clearcoat that a friend recommended and it just dulled the finish. Waxing didn't make it shiny again. I'm getting desperate. I don't wanna remove all the hardware and pay somebody with a spray booth to redo the clear coat.

3. Sounds like you used a product that was way too asbrasive. I generally use Meguiars Show Car Glaze 7. They have products that vary in abrasiveness. Be sure to use a NEW 100% cotton cloth or a foam pad made specifically for applying the abrasive.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Be sure to use a clean tack cloth as well after using an abrasive product to remove any leftover grit.

5. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Get some Turtle Wax "polishing compound". You can get it at Wal-Mart and most autoparts stores. It comes in a small white can tub. Unlike rubbing compound it's very non-abrasive and does a great job when used by hand with an old t-shirt.