Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

buffing the frets

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by air_leech, May 7, 2001.

1. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    hey all,

the brass frets on my Warwick aren't as shiny and buffed as they were when I first got it (last December) except for maybe where the strings hit them.
    anyway, what lubricant should I use to bring them back to shinining new status? also how should I apply such a lubricant without it penetrating the fingerboard? (or maybe thats desireable? I'm taking guesses here)

2. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    I polish mine by lightly buffing them with fine steel wool every few months. I am careful to not scratch up the fretboard while I'm doing it, although it always scuffs a little bit near the frets. Some light polishing of the fretboard takes care of that.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You could mask the wood with painter's tape to keep from scratching up the fretboard when polishing the frets.

Also, if you use steel wool, make sure that you don't get it near the pickups, and make sure that you clean up any stray shavings when you are done.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    "Tommy, where is your brother Derek?"

"Uh, he's upstairs "buffing his frets," mom."

... hhhhhhhhehehehhheh heh hehhehheh hhhhheheh ...

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Bad, Munji! Bad!

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Maybe I should've used Beaver and Wally.

7. I buff my fret with a nice cloth and some lotion, i mean cleaning fluid.:D
    never tried the steel wool thing, seems like an OK idea but I can not be that carefull.

8. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I just used one of those 3M buffing/sanding pads with good success. They are non-metallic and don't flake like steel wool, either.

Took an index card and cut a slot the width of a fret and laid it over each fret as I buffed each with the pad. Worked great and didn't disturb the wood on the fingerboard.

9. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    hey all,

I used that GHS fret-a-something gizmo and it pretty much helps to return that satsifying sheen to the frets.

only prob is that I'm not really sure how does it affect the fingerboard, I recall reading that a lot of these fretboard oiling liquids have synthetic components which might screw the FBoard's wood up.
    anyone has a clue what I'm talking about?