"buffing" up

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by paniak17, Jul 9, 2005.

1. im trying to "buff" up, i want to gain five or so pounds(of non-muscle), and start lifting weights. how long will this process to take untill i start to see noticible results. any tips? thanks.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, you'll see results within, I'd say a little over a month of having a solid, structured and well planned out gameplan.

But the tricky part is, those results won't exactly be 'results', if you catch my drift.

When you first start lifting weights or working out or whatever, it is typical to see 'large improvements' fairly early on in any program, but the thing is, those improvements are temporary if you don't maintain, and improve your workout. You'll get cut, but then you'll hit a wall unless you continue to evolve what it is that you're doing. Which, is often the way working out goes, it is a gradual process, but at the same time, there are walls and plateaus(just like improving at bass)

Also, just like improving at bass, you gotta be consistent. Even though that consistency must be ever-evolving.

The simple way of looking at it is
    Eat a lot
    Lift a lot
    Eat more

Cut all the junk food out of your diet and double your intake of protein(pretty much)

If you want to 'bulk up' you gotta constantly be lifting at the outside of your limits. Don't think you're going to bulk up if you're only doing curls with 10lbs You could go 6 months doing that and you'd barely get any stronger at all(though your muscles would probably look pretty good regardless)

A good thing you might want to do is consult a fitness trainer, in terms of customizing a workout program that will work best for you. Failing that, a good rule of thumb is "3-5" That is, workout 3-5 times a week, do 3-5 reps with 3-5 different workouts.

Always work your abs, they are crucial to your bodies strength, and while they don't 'bulk you up', if you don't work your abs you'll create a bottleneck as you bulk up.

Eat a lot

Oh yea, here's one little tip that many people ignore and they end up wallowing with no improvements.

*your muslces get bigger when they are rebuilding, not when they are being worked*

Many many many many people think "okay, so most people work out 3-5 times a week? I'm going to do it 7 times a week! then I'll get results faster! woohooo!"

That is *very* wrong. The reason workout plans are broken up in the week is to enable your muscles to repair themselves and to prevent you from *OVERWORKING* your muscles, which will actually cause you to LOSE strength and not get anywhere.

You want to be constantly pushing the limits of how much you can lift, but if you do too much, you will undo your progress and possible hurt yourself.

But, I'm not really qualified to say anything, I am in good shape, but I'm still a bean pole. :p

Wait for some more knowledgeable people to join into this discussion, or in the meantime, do a search, this stuff has been discussed a bunch in the past.
  3. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    5 pounds of non-muscle will be easy. Just eat more than you usually do, all the time. REsults when lifting weights really depends on what sort of program you're on, and when you can get to the gym.
  4. I'm not sure what you mean by gaining 5 pounds of non-muscle... I'll assume it's a typo and that you want to gain 5 pounds of muscle.

Gaining 5 pounds of muscle is not very difficult. My personal recommendation is to go down to the drug store and grab one of the mainstream fitness magazines. Muscle and Fitness, Men's Health, or something along those lines. Look for one with a beginner routine in it. My M and F subscription ran out long ago, but they usually had a beginner program of some sort every couple of months. Usually they give you most of the basic knowledge that you need to understand how to train, as well as some basic workout and nutrition plans.
  5. Its not easy to make changes like that, you have to be dedicated.

Easiest way to put on 5 pound of non-muscle is add a beer with dinner, and go out at least 3 times a week for pizza after a normal dinner. Soft drinks are fine for other meals. The 24oz bottles are preferred, but 20 will suffice. You may be tempted at some points to eat a salad, or vegetables. Be strong! Resist the temptation! Keep candy bars nearby to overcome any urges like that.

Like any training program, consistency is key. Many people start with the pizza thing religiously, then slack off, soon its once a week, once every 2 weeks. You have to stick to the diet.

Ask me about the Milk Dud and Mountain Dew diet! I lost 50 lbs in 5 months!
  6. Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    The first thing that came to my mind when reading this thread title was World of Warcraft....

Im a nerd :bawl:

But hey, Chappelle plays WoW , so...
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I really don't know what to think about this. Well... perhaps that's the REAL explanation for his sudden retreat to 'africa'.

I played wow for like 2 months, my brother still plays it. That game is addicting ****, I'm glad I stopped.
  8. The Qintar is around. The man is the definition of "buff."

Except for his legs.
  9. thats what ive been doing for years...i never have breakfast and always end up eating late at night cuz im hungary. i think if i just eat a lot more during the day ill be fine...hopefully.
  10. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I have never understood how people can skip breakfast. I usually eat 2-3 bowls of cereal before I go to work.
  11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Hmmm, I've gotta STOP doing that ;). I've been converting fat to muscle, but as for actual weight-loss, I haven't lost much more at all in the last two weeks.
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Fat does not turn into muscle. Fat must be burned off the body through proper nutrition and cardio.

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Breakfast truly is the most important meal of the day, for good reason. Honestly, If I have a good breakfast, I have a good day. If I skip breakfast(like I did today) I usually feel crummy all day and/or irritable and/or let little things annoy me(like today).
  14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Burning fat and building muscle, then.
  15. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Ah, being Hungary can be a bit of a burden sometimes.
  16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I know I wouldn't want to be repsonible for the lives of over 10 million people...