bugbear of the millennium

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by niftydog, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Yes

107 vote(s)
    77.0%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. what's a manual?

20 vote(s)
    14.4%
  1. By voting no you are effectively saying to me that you subscribe to the "poke and hope" method of operating equipment, consequently you get frustrated easily, you don't understand your equipment and you are destined to spend eternity in hell for your sins. You're very sorry, and you wish to apologise for your selfish attitude and beg for forgivness. You may now begin begging.

By voting yes you are effectively saying to me that you're richer, happier and more successful because you are a clever person who doesn't think it's a waste of time to know what you are doing. You get laid much more often than those in the above category and your appendages are also much bigger. Congratulations on being so damned intelligent and considerate. You may now continue on your way secure in the knowledge that it's people like yourself who keep this planet from self destructing.

2. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Usually I take a good, although quick :ninja: , read through, and then plug in and experiment a little. Then I try out some suggested settings (if any). The next piece of equiptment is gonna require a little more though...

EDIT: BTW, why the title??? :confused:

3. Well, I'm not peeved at anyone here so much even though it does seem to come up a fair bit. This situation just rears it's ugly head in everyday life to damn often to ignore. Sadly, my fiancee is the worst offender I know.

I'm totally with you about the "read a bit then experiement" approach. Reading the manual without futzing is pretty pointless with a new piece of equipment. But, once you're down with the basics it's worth reading right through because you'll often be surprised by things you've missed or not considered.

4. i like to play around with it first to see how intuitive it is, then after about 10 minutes i will open up the manual to see what kind of potential its got :)

5. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York

You made my day. I voted yes!

6. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I usually only read the manual if I can't figure out what is going one after playing with it for awhile. This translates to either 1) Reading the manual or 2) Using the device for years and then finding out there are 12 better/cooler ways to use it than I currently am.

7. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1
    Actually, intuitive usability is a very important feature in most products for me. Not because I can't read and learn, but because I really appreciate a well-designed user interface. So I crack the manual when I reach the non-intuitive points.

8. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Ah: Bugbear = Ugly
    I hope that's it anyway. Reminds me that I was once a D&D nerd :oops:

Exactly.

9. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida
    I often download the manual before purchasing, and go through it to see if the gear is what I want, check out specs, compare to other products, etc. Works for me.

10. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Me to, but on some things it's not possible. Take the English Muff'n for example. It's got your basic gain-eq-volume interface as per most distortions, and the manual reflects this. On the other hand, something like a PODxt is less so. There's only so much room for dials!!!!

11. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Sure, but look at Line 6's modulation and delay pedals- they maximize the dial "real estate" by making some of the dials "soft" controls which change function depending on the chosen preset. Yes the manual will help understand them, but they also are a very intutive interface. Software often uses acres of icons for the same reason, with varying degrees of success. Obviously the more complex the system, the less intuitive certain elements will become, but designers can choose to put a lot of effort into making their systems "as intuitive as possible", or they can -and often do- put too little effort in that direction IMO.

12. Generally speaking, yes. I like to at the very least flip through it, check the specs, make sure I understand everything from a technical standpint. I don't want to missuse or underutilize an item because I didn't know something important. But sometimes there isn't really a need to look at a manual, so I guess it does depend on the item itself!

13. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Well then the next time she get herself a new amp, tell her to read up a bit!!

14. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Embarrassing admission time: I have owned a Pedal Power II for a couple of years. It was only recently that I read the manual and realized how the dip switches control the Line 6 and sag outputs. :rollno: :meh:

15. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I always read the manuals.

16. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    :meh: Kinda like my DD-20, where everything is labeled, and sometimes labeled "more than once". Kindof a happy medium I suppose.

Please note that unlike niftydog, whether you read manuals or not doesn't bug me. A facinating subject, yes, but one requireing appologies, no. :D No offence meant BTW niftydog, just MHO.

17. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    :hyper: POKE POKE POKE... MOCK.. POKE

( Glad other people follow my learning model )

18. In an ideal world, DarkHatred, I'd agree with you. Maybe it's just my circumstance, but everyone who knows that I'm an EE thinks I therefore know everything there is to know about every piece of electronics in the known universe... consequently I come up against this scenario a lot!

The bugbear thing and the demanded apology is just my twisted sense of humour, the main purpose is as a community service, just to get people thinking that perhaps they should curl up with a manual tonight... if nothing else it really sends you to sleep!!!

19. Seelesauger

Seelesauger

Aug 10, 2006
    When you get a new piece of equiptment who wants to read something before you use it. Most people are smart enough to get the jist of it.

20. I must say I'm a cover to cover kinda guy.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021