1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bugera 6260

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Plucky The Bassist, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I know Bugera and Behringer get some flack around here, this is not a troll thread :bag:
    ....but just an honest question and attempt at some friendly conversing with a little learning in the process lol

So I saw a listing for this while sifting through the tube amps on Musicians Friend (in the bass section, go figure) and it piqued my interest. I looked into it on their website and got an actual description of the product. Seems to be an all-tube guitar amp (120w with 4 6L6s) with 2 channels, built-in reverb, and will go down to 4 ohms as well. I know the $543 price tag on MF.com is probably NOT the final price of the amp, but if it were sub-$700 it might be well worth looking into for my needs.

I know a few gents on here use all-tube "guitar" heads with great results. Any of you guys have experience using an all-tube Bugera head for a bass rig? It's a toss up between this and the Traynor YBA200-2 for me. I lean towards the Traynor, but this seems to be a pretty interesting amp and the extra gain options might be useful if adjusted correctly.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    You can fix the title in "Advanced" editing.

PS. Go with the Traynor. You can always by an efx pedal or two.

3. Plucky The Bassist

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    thank you for the advice! :)

4. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a real tomato

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    I wouldn't suggest that particular Bugera, but look into the Bugera 1960. It is a 150w Marshall Super Lead/Bass clone that sounds dead on and is killer with bass. It's super loud with a very distinct tone. Search talkbass, they are becoming popular with players around here and you can find them used for around $300 these days.

5. Plucky The Bassist

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    How about the 1990? I'm not a big fan of EL34s in the power section, I prefer 6550s but I like 6L6s too (I read that the 5881s in the amp are similar to 6L6s). The 1990 also has the option to lower the wattage (down to 60w) as well.

I'm still going to give the 1960 a try when possible. I'll just have to convince the Guitar Center guys that the head won't implode if I do so lol

6. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Hell, I just got in a Bugera BVV3000 for that price - why would you want to screw around with trying to use a guitar amp?
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/bugera-bvv3000-finally-stock-888232/

You can also get a 1960 Infinium and swap in 6L6's or 6550's - I got mine for $340 shipped (open box):
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/bugera-1960-bass-588894/

7. Plucky The Bassist

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Man that bass head is beyond tempting, but the 73lbs is a lot to me lol. I definitely want to hear one, how does it sound so far? Sound clips would be thebomb.com if you ever find the time to make some :)

Talked with a gent that wanted to sell me his 1960 infinium, considering it but I'm not sure I'd want to given that the OT isn't going to utilize the 200w I'd get from 4-6550s or KT88s. Still something I'm considering.

8. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    If you have enough cone area you don'y need a lot of power. My old V4B was plenty loud with a single V9 cab and with two of them it was painful to play in front of them - even with earplugs in :eek: . I only brought both once - 18 10" speakers :D .

9. Plucky The Bassist

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Ok, sorry for the following noob question...would running 4 6550's in an amp like that damage the OT or would it not matter at all? If the latter is the case, then I think I'll put that option back on the table lol

10. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    You can run 6550's in a 1960 Infinium no prob - not true for many other similar amps. You'd at least have to rebias them which may require component changes. The Infinium's have a little computer in them that automatically biases each output tube individually, no need for matched sets - they can even be different numbered tubes :eek: . I've threatened to run mine with one each of EL34B, 6L6, 6550, and KT-88 just because I can :cool: .

11. carbonfold

carbonfold

Oct 13, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    Actually, you would be referring to the PT (power transformer) being able to keep up with the current for the heater supplies for 6550's. In this case yes.

This amp was designed to handle the extra current required for EL34's or 6550's.

Just keep in mind, even if there was a power tube with a 100w plate dissipation, the amp will only push its limits of its design. If the system is generally designed around the ball park of 100w, it will only produce "around" +\- 100w due to several factors of both transformers and other components.

Using different power tubes in the Infiniums will not produce additional power. Only tone differences.