1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bugera BVV3000 vs Hartke HA5500 vs Peavey Mark IV

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Noot, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Hello,

I am thinking about getting a decent yet cheap amp.

Right now I have a Peavey 400 Mark IV from 1980. A friend changed for me the big power capacitors and a couple of smaller ones and if I run the bass straight into the power amp (bypassing the preamp) it seems to sound OK, but the preamp section is useless, the sound is thin and twangy. I could change the capacitors in the preamp as well, hoping to get a clean sound, for about 20$ and my friend doing the work.

I have heard in the shop the Bugera BVV3000 by change when testing a bass. I was very much surprised with it, has a fat, clean, powerful tone. Sounds a bit vintage, not like the newer SS amps, but that's fine for me.

I have also played the Hartke HA5500. Very clean sound, and the features on it are there for a practical reason and not marketing (compression, contour, SS and tube pre-amp blend, etc.).

Obviously the Bugera is all tube, the Hartke is hybrid and the Peavey is solid-state (uses oval aluminum transistors, the only ones' sound I like).

I play a Fender Precision. Which one of these options do you think would be best: fixing the Peavey, getting the Bugera or the Hartke? I know a lot of people play Ampeg, I have played a couple of those, including the SVT-4 (I think) but I don't like the sound, and I'm also not very keen on buying an expensive used tube amp.

Thanks.

P.S. I have a Peavey 410TVX cab which is great but can't fit in my car. I will probably change it for a smaller 115.

2. I would fix the Peavey, change all TL074 Op-ICs, stay with the "Tank of ancient Bass-Amps".

Cheers

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    :rolleyes:

Shotgun changing of caps and/or op-amps won't buy you much.

You'll get more change by changing the circuit. A little extra gain can make a big difference in sound. Tweaking the EQ circuits so they have more boost in one area. In all, it's not worth it. Peavey makes great products, they've made some incredible improvements in their new products. It's harder for you to make old match new. It's the way it works.

4. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    checkout the hartke lh500 seems real poplar!

5. guymanndude1

guymanndude1

Feb 5, 2004
    If your budget is tight, fix what you've got, but if you do have the dough, a Peavey VB2 is a better choice then the Bugera BVV3000, IMHO.

6. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

Check the voltages on the op amps in the PV. I'll bet you lost one side do the power supply.