Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buh? This setup stuff is still confusing.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alright, that discussion I had earlier "Matchbook vs. Truss Rod Adjustment" this has become more confusing. I've got the fretboard flat as I can get it, and I've got the action set as low as it will go. At the first fret the action is near perfect, at the 24th fret, it's about a 1/4 inch above the fretboard. What does this mean?

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
  3. Sounds like shim time to me, also.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That's what I was thinking. Is this something I buy? Have to make?

Like I said, my uncle recommended matchbooks. I'd like something a tad more pro.

5. I use thin plastic, like a credit card but a piece of a business card will work just fine. A lot of people will tell you that shimming will have an adverse on sustain but I don't buy it. I have a substantial shim in my P-clone and it sustains like crazy.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    LET THE SHIMMING COMMENCE!!

As soon as I'm done being lazy and make some fettiucini alfredo... mmmm

7. I have seen others use veneer from a hardware store and even masking tape as a shim.

Basswood makes for a good shim and can be purchased at most hardware stores also.

Check the link posted above.......www.mrgearhead.com has a great instruction section on shimming, I find it quite useful!

http://www.mrgearhead.com/faq/basssetup.html

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I tried it, and I suck.

I'm taking it to someone. :(

9. Seriously, cut a 1/4" strip off the lid of a matchbook, put it in the neck pocket of your bass towards the bridge, bolt the neck back on.

The shim should be underneath at the butt end of the neck.

You may have to re-adjust the truss rod if you went ape-schizz on it.

What went wrong?

10. Matt, you're killing us here dude, what went wrong? We can help......if you let us!

:hyper: Treena

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ha, I think I figured it out.

Once again, DUH! On my part. My shim wasn't... shimming! :D

I was just lifting the entire neck, as opposed to the butt end! I was so concerned with making this cardboard piece that fit the entire neck area, and that was my problem. I figured it out when I saw how tiny the piece of sandpaper (?) was they used to shim it before I bought it.

Thanks for helping guys! Greatly appreciated, helping to save a poor college bassist a couple of bucks. It just warms my heart. :crying: :D

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Sucess. Thanks guys!

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Strangely though I've had to set my action higher that I want it to avoid buzzing on the 17th fret on the G and D strings.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Perhaps.

Now my shim has completely reset. It's still there, but it's "settled." :crying:

My bass hates me.