Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buh? Xtina and Herbie Hancock?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Uh, so my girlfriend told me that she saw Christina... I'm not going to attempt to spell her name... duet with Herbie Hancock on daytime TV. It was Ellen I think. They are aparently promoting an album.

I'm over Herbie Hancock selling out... the 80s made it clear that Herbie is very interested in what's going on in the mainstream and works with that. So Christina is a somewhat logical step. The thing is... she's a beautiful singer. She's very talented, her songs are what lack substance. Herbie will pick up that slack for sure.

Anyone heard of this? I could do a search on Google... but I won't.

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Haven't seen the footage you mention (being in the UK), but your girlfriend saw right.

Herbie Hancock's new album is 'Possibilities', an album of duets with guest stars. The album was recorded as part of a deal with Starbucks, but it's available everywere now.

The tracklisting is:
    1. 'Stitched Up' featuring John Mayer
    2. 'Safiatou' featuring Santana and Angilique Kidjo
    3. 'A Song For You' featuring Christina Aguilera
    4. 'I Do It For Your Love' featuring Paul Simon
    5. H'ush, Hush, Hush' featuring Annie Lennox
    6. 'Sister Moon' featuring Sting
    7. 'When Love Comes To Town' featuring Jonny Lang and Joss Stone
    8. 'Don't Explain' featuring Damien Rice and Lisa Hannigan
    9. 'I Just Called To Say I Love You' featuring Raul Midon (also featuring Stevie Wonder on harmonica)
    10. 'Gelo No Montana' featuring Trey Anastasio

Soundclips at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/002-2410454-2620821?v=glance&s=music

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I dig a couple tracks... the Jonny Lang "When love comes to town" cover is pretty good. All and all it doesn't seem to have enough substance. Herbie sounds good though. Safiatou has a pretty cool groove it it. I think it's Ironic that Santana is on the comp, because this is kinda what he did on Supernatural.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    People said Miles Davis was selling out when he started playing Cyndi Lauper tunes.

I'm sure artists love hearing people who don't buy their albums complain about their integrity. Not saying it's 100% the case here, but it happens a lot.

Hey, matt: Aguillera. Not too different from Aguilar amps, etc. ;)

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    It's actually a petty decent album, I don't have it (yet) but I heard a couple tracks at school. The John Mayer track is dripping with funk.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Thanks for the tip. :D

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    The John Mayer track is hot but the Sting track is just sick! I picked it up yesterday.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    10 years ago or so, Hancock put out "The New Standard" album; IIRC, he caught some flack for that, too(jazzy arrangements of Pop tunes...I used to be in a band that covered "Mercy Street" as done on that album).
    I've seen Possibilities at Starbucks...I'm passing on it.

9. The Trey Anastasio track was intriguing, but the whole CD seems like an experiment with lukewarm results.

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You have to be open to the possibility they didn't mesh too well. The last thing any musician should bring to the studio is the feeling they have an obligation to make something great. They got together to create something, that's what came out.

Maybe they'll work together again and come up with something you'll like better and someone else won't. Who knows...

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

From the clips I heard, same deal here. But I won't toss in my opinion until I hear the whole thing... which I probably won't. So I'll remain an undecided party.