Buick..."Dream On"...not!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, May 9, 2005.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

'kay, I've been around 44+ years, I've had dreams of fame, fortune, certain chicks, kickin' butt playing the big concert, winning the stinkin' lottery, and owning cool houses and cars.

In all those years, I had alot of dreams...none of which ever involved a Buick.

How about you guys?
  2. Well, Cadillac says they owe their "resurgence" to using "Rock And Roll" in their ads.

But P., you ain't a young'in anymore, you don't "get it." :p
  3. At least it's not Joy Division...
  4. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Hmmmmmm well I DID have this one dream where Goldie Hawn tried to run over me with a '77 Riviera. But that's the only Buick I ever remember dreaming.
  5. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Yup, that slogan just doesn't rate. Dream and Buick go together like Paris Hilton and nuclear physics.
  6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    P., I've had this dream about Jessica Alba and a Roadmaster stationwagon, it's a real chick magnet. Seriously, didn't they sell like two buicks last year? And those were probobly on the employee purchase plan, the General needs to buy a clue! :scowl:
  7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I've had dreams of the Stage 1 and GSX's of the 70's, and more recently dreams of the Grand National and GNX's of the 80's.

However, to own a new Buick I really believe the minimum age requirement is 75.
  9. Ever noticed just how WRONG the ass-end of the Buick Rendevous looks? That rear light assembly makes it look like a car that got smooshed up 3 feet off the ground, and then they added groundeffects...all swept into the back side windows...lame lame lame... go get 'em Tiger!

Yeah, I seriously think Caddy needs to move on to a new brand-i.d. song...they've gotten more than enough mileage out of it.

And what is up with Caddy becoming nothing more than blinged out Chevy the past 5-6 years? It wasn't enough when they released Chevy or Pontiac based disasters like the Cimmaron or the Catera, no... now all they do is have practically the entire Chevy SUV lineup reskinned with Caddy badges. And people lap it up like they are really getting something special.

No M'am, that Escalade you think is so bitchin? It's a prettied up Tahoe with a 20,000 dollar premium on top. Enjoy!
  10. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    For the most part, the buyers of Escalades realize this but to them, it doesn't matter. My neighbor's H2 lease ran out so he turned to the Escalade. I've been told he prefers it. I myself have developed an early appreciation for comfort. I'd take a Mercury Mountaineer any day... not exactly the smoothest ride but it has that great SUV feel to it. I'd easilly take an Escalade or a Navigator instead, but of course I can't afford one right now.
  11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

brad cook
  12. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    buick and cadillac are thebest american cars made.

well, dodge too.
  13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

You're supposed to whisper just like that actor does in those stupid "Buick-designer-Harvey Earle" re-enactment commercials.
  14. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Imo it looks better than it's Pontiac counterpart, the Aztek.

No different than what other manufacturers are doing. The Lexus is nothing more than a spiffed up Toyota, Infiniti is just a spiffed up Nissan, Lincoln and Ford etc........A few more cupholders, gold trim and leather seats and there you have it.

If you built it, they will come.
  15. I realise that about Caddy following other manufacturers lead, but really, I just assumed that marque was "Better" than that. I think Caddy, I think upper echelon. I've not once bought into the Infinity / Lexus -tier versions of other cars, I think it's cheating...then again, I don't get hung up on marques and status crap.

Just like that Jaguar "entry level" sedan that basically looks like a dressed up Taurus, because it prolly IS. Is it really worth that much more? Is corinthian leather really going to up my credibility over driving the "lesser" version? Maybe on the outside, and I don't find a whole lot of that satisfying at all.

To each his own, I drive a Chevy...and their "spendy" nameplate is called Vauxhall...and never the two shall be confused. :D (I'm kidding around)
  16. Even worse....I'm about to buy a co-worker's 2000 Oldsmobile.

But it's an Intrigue which makes 215 hp :D
  17. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I have a Century, which I totally dig. I've always liked luxury sedans. It's nice and roomy too; I can fit two basses, an Avatar 4x10, a 10 space rack, and a large suitcase (full of misc equipment) in it with not problem.

I just put some pimpin' spoked hubcaps on it last month. I'm all blinged out rollin' on my 14's.

Mine doesn't have the 3.1 engine though, which I loved from my previous two cars. :(
  18. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so I'm not bothered by the fact that you think an Escalade is just a dolled up Tahoe (is a Lexus ES300 a dolled up Camry? What's the diff btw a $55K Toyota Land Cruiser and a $70K Lexus LX?).

I will however challenge you on the stuff I highlighted in RED. Chevy SUVs include Equinox, Trailblazer, and Trailblazer EXT. None of these are shared by Cadillac. The Cadillac SRX is exclusively Cadillac.

The Cadillac SRX, CTS, and STS are all built on a vehicle platform used exclusively by Cadillac. The DTS is on it's own platform altogether. The Escalade family of vehicles does share their platform with other GM full size trucks, but once you get past the mechanical pieces that nobody but Mike N would ever bother to look at, there are significant differences. There is content in the Cadillac that you cannot get with the Chevy lineup. Best engine you can get in a Tahoe / Avalanche / Suburban is a 310 hp 5.3 V8. Caddies get the 6.0L 345 hp job. $55K Toyota & $70K Lexus share the same 4.7L 280 hp V8. Lexus and Toyota share platforms, body types and engines more freely than Cadillac does with any other GM division.

19. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    [ascending soapbox]

When I started in the auto industry, the best selling car in the US was the Oldsmobile Cutlass. Sold over a million a year. Oldsmobile's toughest competitor was Buick. Nevermind that they were two of the oldest divisions of the same car company. Today Cutlass and Oldsmobile are gone. Competiton comes from Germany, Japan, Korea, and soon China. The past few years the best selling car in the US is typically the Toyota Camry or Honda Accord and they tend to be in the 350 - 400K range, compared to the million Cutlass sold in its heyday. So what's the point? In today's environment, it costs a lot more (couple billion dollars) to launch an all new vehicle platform and the volume prospects are a lot lower. When the best you can hope for is to sell a couple hundred thousand a year, not a million, and competitive pressures dictate that you have to change designs every few years, the only way to compete is to find ways to do more than one vehicle off each platform.

Definition: Platform....The parts of the vehicle most customers DON'T see or don't know what they're looking at if they do. Axles, floor pans, engine cradles, exhaust system components, suspension system components, steering system hardware, load bearing frame structures, etc

It costs a couple billion to engineer an all new platform. Typically an automaker tries to recover that cost in the price of the vehicle. But then automakers also have to recover the cost of regulatory items, such as air bags, emissions content, etc, that they can not directly charge the customer for. If the costs of engineering a platform and all the required content cannot be spread over several different vehicles, you cannot afford to stay in business.

One of the things that make car companies successful is how well they are able to reuse platform components. Some platform sharing is fairly obvious. Volkswagon Touareg and Porsche Cayenne, for example. Others are not so obvious. Volkswagon Passat and Audi A4 or Chrysler Crossfire and Mercedes Benz SLR. Toyota Camry and Lexus RX330 are also off the same basic platform. There's nothing wrong with developing different vehicles off the same or similar platforms. It's smart business. What is important is differentiating the vehicles through appearance, content, and performance. Camry and RX330 look so different that most people don't recognize how similar they are underneath the skin. Most don't even notice they use the same basic powertrain lineup.

Even so, you only have to spend 5 minutes with each to recognize how different they are. Likewise, anyone spending 5 minutes with an Escalade and a Tahoe will quickly recognize that they are a lot more different than they are the same. They look different, perform differently, have different engine and transmission and driveline offerings (AWD v 4WD). Some people value those differences. They buy Escalades. Some people don't. They buy Tahoes. Or Expeditions, or Sequioas.

[/descend soapbox]

20. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    James, Caddy seems to be the Generals lone bright spot. Although there styling is not "my thing" they do make some exceptional vehicles, which are creatively styled and unique. They also have managed to get a uniform "look" across the brand. Besides the new Vette tho, the rest of the Generals new product line is scary poor, and most of there other vehicles aren't in the top 1/2 of there competition. They need help bad!