Introduction My first build went very well especially since I had no prior woodworking experience. I still play that instrument every day. My second build has been extremely trying. The idea was to build an instrument like my 1st build (8 string tapper inspired by the NS/Stick,) but with enough differences from the 1st build to make it worthwhile. I decided to go with a headstock (scarf joint) and to use a 30” scale length with more frets (30.) I also decided to use a different finish for the body (water based stain and polyurethane.) I didn’t take as many pictures this time, but I will have pictures (and more of the story) in upcoming posts. Let’s just get this next section out of the way ... All The Stuff That Went Wrong Friend gave me some wood (cherry.) Was going to use it for the neck. It chipped out so much that eventually the piece got too small to use. Tried to use some maple for the neck from the board that I used in my first build. This piece of wood was like a spring. The more it was planned the more it curved. Bought some new maple and everything went perfectly. Drilled out holes for machine heads. Although I used the correct size bits, four of the holes ended up a little too large. May have been caused by the run out of my cheap drill press. I could still work with the holes but I wanted a more precise fit. After finishing the neck, I decided to check it against the fret board template. Some frets were slightly off. Was I being too picky? This question would haunt me until finally assembly. Leveling the fret board took off way more fret material than I wanted. This made crowning harder. Later I would find out that I didn’t do a good crowning job and would have to re-crown. The 2nd re-crown went very well however The body is 2 pieces. The neck pocket ended up not being exactly centered with the seam. All other measurements had to be done from a new center line. Things just look a bit off when held up and sighted. Did I take some measurements from the old center line? I don’t know, but nothing is off functionally. First time stringing up the instrument with used 34” scale length string caused the lowest pitched string to unraveled. I never even thought about having to use a different length string! Fortunately Kaliumstrings.com was able to meet my 30” scale needs. Applying the finish to the body was a complete disaster. Setting the intonation meant putting the lower string saddles back further than I anticipated. This puts the lowest string on a large angle from the mounting point to the bridge saddle. I will have to make sure this doesn’t cause any problems The entire time I was worried about the headstock and neck dive (since my 1st build is headless and balances wonderfully.) Not really an error, just something else to worry about (because I needed more worries.) I’ll have pictures in upcoming posts … promise.