build a bass for auction??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JSPguitars, Apr 20, 2004.

1. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I was just checking my e-mails, and found the april newsletter for the MIMF forum. I'm sure most of you have by now seen the bass some of the members/forum staff built and put up for auction on e-Bay for auction??? It's a sweet loooking bass.........if you haven't seen it, you should check it out.
    SO, I was thinking, since this is THE place to talk bass, how would an idea such as this fly over here??
    I think it's a great idea, and it seems there would be many members here who would definately get off on this.
    Of course, this would need to be highly organized, limited to RESPONSIBLE, well-respected members of the forum, people willing to donate woods, materials, time, tools, etc..etc...etc...
    But just think how cool this could be AND of course, the proceeds would benefit .
    I think a project like this should be going on at all times. I'm just starting out in building, but I would LOVE to one day contribute to a project like this.
    Just curious to see what some of you more well-known and respected forum members think of this idea?
  2. Truly a good idea.

The only hitch is one that I experienced when I ran the "WishBass" project over a year ago. That's keeping interest alive while the project is out of sight. It's easy with pics of new construction but organizing and maintaining a head of steam usually is the downfall.

I would offer what little I could to the project.
  3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    This might even be an idea that you open up to some of the newer getting-off-the-ground builders. Problem is that many of the established builders that are listed on this forum rarely check in, if ever. So it might be hard to get a crew together that could truly pull this off in the way that MIMF did. The MIMF project was really well organized and if I recall, much or all of the parts and woods were donated.

I could donate some hours to this if it made it off the ground... as long as I'm not the one doing the sanding! ;)
  4. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I agree in that it should be limited to the newer/getting-off-the-ground builders..........let them show their chops. I just think it'd be a great idea to collaborate with guys like Hambone/FBB/TimmyB on a project, or anyone else interested for that matter.
    I'm not familiar with your WishBass project Hambone, but I'll do a search on it. Perhaps only 3-4-5 people could be involved.....?? doesnt need to be as big and blown up as the MIMF auction at all..........just some dedicated, directed people. Guess we'll see what the interest is.
  5. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    Does anybody know how much the MIMF bass went for? Custom basses on ebay don't seem to fetch a lot of $$$ usually.
  6. Something along the lines of $1975. More than the usual handmade bass on ebay but certainly less than it would sell for to a client.
  7. Great idea guys, definately would be awesome...
  8. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I would donate some JP pickups for example. Being far from the US would make it harder for me to participate in the build itself.

9. Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    I'd love to contribute, but as a luthier, I suck. I manage to mess up every project I start, and generally need a lot of epoxy to fix it.
  10. We'll let you epoxy the stamps on the package when we send it! :)
  11. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    I could ask Jake... he does great inlay work...
  12. Skips

Feb 19, 2003

Oh, I am half-decent at LED inlays.
  13. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I have a couple ebony(1 gaboon, 1 macassar)fb blanks I might be willing to contribute one if this thing gets going. plus, if anything needs to be thicknessed I just got the 30A service for my 25" performax sander :D
  14. schuyler

Aug 5, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    seeing as how i run a shop which goes through thousands of board feet of exotics per month, i'll be happy to contribute some wood. off the top of my head, i know i have some zebrawood and some goncalo alves that would make nice tops.

i can also offer the use of some great machinery... shopbot anyone?
  15. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I'll throw my hat in the ring.
    I can get the body together and cut the profile.
  16. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    anybody have any ideas for body designs they've been considering, working on, or wanna throw out?? Let's see em
  17. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I have this wood that I'd be willing to donate. I think it's different and "exotic"
    but it's not wide enough for a bigger body without another piece in-between

ps......sorry for the small image
  18. I just got bored and played around with photoshop a little, this is what's been spinning around my head lately....

Any comments???
  19. Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    Body shapes...Hmmm. I came up with an interesting one a while ago, based loosely on the fender style, but a lot more interesting. I either drew it on paper or I dreamt I did. Either way, I don't have it any more. I do have this one, though!
    Here's a more serious one that I just put together. It's hardly a finished idea...some of the curves aren't anywhere close to right, but you get the general idea. Sorry about the quality, I don't do well in design software.
  20. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Here's one design I've done a bit of modeling on. Strings are just mocked-up lines, etc. Pups are laid in proper positions. It's drawn as 35" scale, 24 frets. Body contours are meant to be comfortable and to balance well (as well as for aesthetics), although I've never built a test piece to prove it.

It's just a slab with a slight roundover; in reality, there would be contouring.

Full shot and body