1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

build a bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Tim s, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Tim s

Tim s

Apr 21, 2011
    have you ever heard of getting a squire bass and change the body to the fender version wouldn't it make sense to just buy a fender bass

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Uhhh wut?

3. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    seems like more work why not get a used mim fender they go for 250

4. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    have you ever heard of using punctuation when starting a squire bass to fender version changing thread that really doesnt make any sense to begin with

re-read your headstock if its spelled like that return it to the pawn shop

bring extra cash and buy some punctuation

5. Tim s

Tim s

Apr 21, 2011
    thanks spaz21387, and to ack, get a life or buy one everyone else understands it this is not homework its just a post not all that serious.

6. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe

Mar 11, 2013
    Kent, United Kingdom
    It is serious if we can't understand a bloody word you're saying...

I consider myself a good reader. 'Ulysses' is a challenge but do-able for me. Your first post required multiple re-reads.

7. Tim s

Tim s

Apr 21, 2011
    A friend of mines want to buy a fender body and find a neck to put a bass together, to me it just makes more sense to just out right buy a bass. so I was trying to get feed back on it.

8. Tim s

Tim s

Apr 21, 2011
    ok then say so don't be all nasty about it

9. GrumpiusMaximus

Mar 11, 2013
    Kent, United Kingdom
    Still doing it...

10. Tim s

Tim s

Apr 21, 2011
    Ok I will try to do better, because obviously you guys don't text on your cell phones or recieve text message.WOW!! how's that?

11. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    My bad, Tim s. I wasn't really trying to get on your case - just having a little fun. I apologize if I offended you.

12. GrumpiusMaximus

Mar 11, 2013
    Kent, United Kingdom
    I send and receive text messages in standard English.

13. Charming.
    I was going to contribute but now I'm out.
    But before I go, here, have a few of these... You need them more than I do.

14. Firesalt

Firesalt Is good enough. Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I use proper punctuation when I text and force my kids to as well.

To address your original question: There are lots of interchangeable parts, if your friend wants to utilize them then he should go for it. The great thing about interchangeable parts is that you can build something unique and not readily available. Sure, you can buy a MIM bass used cheap but will it be everything you wanted? P-Bass neck on a jazz body... in purple? You can probably build that from random parts. The fun part is when you start modding the parts for other styles: jazz body with dual MM pickups and painted florescent green for example. Or a Squire P-bass routed to add MM pickup in purple sparkle (a current project of mine).
    Really the sky is the limit.

15. mrbell321

mrbell321

Mar 26, 2012
    N. Colorado
    I have no idea what you said but thats ok its not important I just wanted to make fun of your lack of punctuation like everyone else its fun to do I recommend it to everyone oh well I hope your day goes better have fun bye bye

16. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    What would.changing from a Squier to a Fender body get you. It would make more sense to swap necks and keep the body. No one can tell.a loaded Squier body from a loaded Fender body.

17. The exploding kind of mines or the ones you excavate stuff of?

18. GrumpiusMaximus

Mar 11, 2013
    Kent, United Kingdom
    Introducing: Dwarf Fortress.

Apologies to any non-nerds. I'd imagine that's most of you.

19. Shape of any MIA, MIM, CIJ, CII, ETC Fender/Squier bass are all the same (P for P, J for J), so what's the point of swapping one out?

On the point of punctuation, I concur with others who use it in all forms of text based communication – be it SMS, TB, other online forums, e-mail etc. Sure makes reading and communicating ideas easier.

On the flip side...

icanseehowmuchtimeeffortandspacecanbesavedwithoutpuntuationtimssavesandhecouldsaveevenmoretimeandenergyifheleftoutthespacestoo

[Interesting, TB adds spaces even if you don't.]

Maybe leave out any superfluous words as well...

20. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    I wouldn't bother. I've been looking around for some extra guitar parts to put together a strat (since mangling my cheap strat copy a little bit with my beginner's soldering job. . . :bawl:)
    Absolutely can't find any parts to buy that would save me money vs. just buying a whole used guitar.