Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Build a Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jtd125, Mar 16, 2002.

1. jtd125

jtd125

Mar 16, 2002
    Agoura Hillis, CA
    Hey whats going on everyone. I want to learn to play fretless but dont want to spend the money to buy a good one. Does anyone know where to get plans on how to bulid a bass? Thanks

Keep on Rockin

2. Check out the book How to Build an Electrin Guitar, by Melvyn Hiscock. But first, go to the Musical Istrument Makers Forum at www.mimf.com and check out the forums. You can also buy plans there.

Geoff

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Exactly. Though I like Koch's book better, see http://www.buildyourguitar.com/.

And study well, otherwise your "build a bass" will be spelled "bouillabaisse"....;)

4. The Musical Instrument Makers Forum - www.mimf.com - has a really neat set of plans for a cool neck through. I think they can also be used to make a bolt on. Along with that, they have a new online bass building course that starts soon. You should check them out.

5. I got How to build a Bass and it's a really good book. It cost me about 20 bucks, but I think it was worth it. I've never built one just jet, but someday I will. So, look around on the internet, and get some books, and plan plan plan before you even look at anything else. Good luck and have fun.

Oddman