1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Build A Board...Compressor, then Chorus, then...?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by zippydog, Aug 16, 2007.

1. zippydog

zippydog Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Chicago
    OK, I'm hooked on adding more pedals!! :bassist:

I've acquired a Demeter Compulator, an Analogman Chorus and am about to add an Ernie Ball volume pedal.

...what's next?

Thinking about overdrive, but not sure...

What would you add or recommend next?

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    What kind of music are you playing? Overdrive/distortion/fuzz are very common, but if it isn't right for your music, then it's the wrong call.

Your first two pedals are spectacular choices (I own both ;)), and apparently you have a taste for quality stuff (YAY!).

The choices from this point are numerous, and the best thing you can do is to start listening to as many samples of - or better yet, test for yourself - the kinds of pedals you're interested in. When you hear something that grabs you by the throat, kill it (aka: buy it) and drag it back to your cave.

OD/dist/fuzz are very personal tastes. What sounds fantastic for one person, may sound like crap to somone else. A few well-loved effects in the "dirt" family, by TB'ers, are:
    - EHX Little Big Muff
    - EHX English Muff'n
    - Fulltone Bass-Drive
    - Malekko B:assmaster
    - BJF Blueberry
    (I know I'm forgetting a few great ones)

A couple more of my favorites are:
    - Prescription Electronics Depth Charge
    - Fulltone OCD

Happy hunting! :D

3. I'm eyeing the OLC Flipster for overdrive.

You might want to check it out.

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Yeah I'm going to order the Flipster kit and give it to one of my sailors so he can build it for me.

5. zippydog

zippydog Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Chicago
    Yep, I should have included that...

I'm playing contemporary Christian rock @ church. I wanted the compressor for obvious reasons and the chorus to warm up the sound for ballads.

There are a few aggressive songs where I'd like to dig in with a bit more grind (not necessarily heavy fuzz, though - just a bit of break-up and snarl in the tone).

Am I right to think that something like the Fulltone Bass Drive (or similar) will get me there or should I be looking at some other kind of effect?

Thanks - learning an awful lot here!

6. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The Bass-Drive is a good call for mild OD (crank it, and you can get some pretty heavy distortion, but not total fuzz). My personal favorite for mild OD is the EHX English Muff'n.

Do a search for "mild overdrive" in this forum, and you'll have lots to read about.

7. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    If you don't already have one, you might think about getting a sansamp. I don't know if that can be considered an effects pedal, but it makes the bass sound damn good and has a decent overdrive to it.