Build alpha: Rob Allen inspired

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Beauchene Implements, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    That's looking mighty, mighty fine.
    As for the fretless training wheels, I did my first fretless with them at each position and it made for a lot of confusion in the end as I couldn't glance down and immediately pick out fret five, etc. That bass now has small pieces of tape on the back just to make life easier.
    Looking good!!!

2. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    hey, looks wonderful!
    I like Rob Allens!

-maybe I missed it- are you using regular Acoustic Matrix made for acoustic GUITAR? becouse I'm planning exactly the same, something semi-hollow body, with no magnetic pickup... and I have some good experiences with that Fishman pickup in acoustic, so I thougt why not?

good job, beautiful woods!

3. Beauchene Implements

Beauchene Implements Commercial User

Dec 31, 2007
    Maine
    Technician at NS Design
    ZolkoW-I am using the regular Fishman Acoustic Matrix Natural II. I called Fishman when I was planning this instrument, they said that as long as the piezo was the correct length, it would work fine. They also said the Natural II was more appropriate for this application because the frequency response is flatter. The natural I has a boosted low-end response that would be too much on a bass. I'll post sound clips when I'm finished!

Just glued the top on tonight:
    IMGP5553.jpg

4. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    Yes, I know that, I bought the Nat.II, because the flatter response. mailing the manufacturer isn't a bad idea! :)

can't wait for some sound clips!!!

Edit: what strings are you going to use?
    I think, I may buy some ROTO black nylons (the only tape wound which is available here)

5. Beauchene Implements

Dec 31, 2007
    Maine
    Technician at NS Design
    Got a lot done today.

IMGP5561.jpg

IMGP5584.jpg

IMGP5585.jpg

IMGP5588.jpg

IMGP5591.jpg

It fits my knee like a glove, and balances nicely. Now is the hard part...staying on track and not rushing to get it done.

Next up...fine tuning the body contours, tons of finish sanding, binding, and finishing.

6. Yvarg

Yvarg Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Lake Forest, CA
    Looks excellent and went by pretty fast. Please be sure to post some soundclips when everything is finished! :cool:

7. is that a not-perfect neck pocket or it's just a shade? :)
    [​IMG]
    Loooking good, i love the body wood graind and overall the instrument looks very pleasing

BTW is that a honduran mahogany body?
    If yes, is it better then other type of mahogany?

8. DanielM

DanielM

Jan 6, 2007
    Holland
    looking good BarnacleBeau! should turn out a real beaut!

9. Beauchene Implements

Dec 31, 2007
    Maine
    Technician at NS Design
    waseok- that is in fact, a less-than-perfect neck joint. I made my neck pocket template so tight I thought the neck would split the body if the temperature changed, so I slid the template left and right a hair to widen it. Umm, yeah, bad idea. I have a plan for a little sliver-patch that should blend right in. Note to self...making a new template only takes a few minutes...

When I bought the body wood (at Lane Stanton Vance), I picked this piece from the honduran mahogany section. When I went back to buy the rest of this super-straight grained plank for future projects, it was gone, and the dude said that that was the african mahogany section. So in other words, I'm not sure. Is there a quick way to tell?

10. Thats a lovely neck and fretboard, good clean work. I'm sure the little neck pocket gap can be fixed without any detriment to the instrument.

11. squidmaster

squidmaster

Feb 1, 2008
    looks good! Ill be lucky if I dont have to scrap my first build, once I actually start lol

12. I'm hoping your gonna post sound clips of this sweetie!
    I can't wait to see your build sequence photos of the electronics!

13. Beauchene Implements

Dec 31, 2007
    Maine
    Technician at NS Design
    Thanks for the compliments, all. Still got some work to do, though.

So about that neck pocket.
    IMGP5597.jpg

IMGP5598.jpg

IMGP5610.jpg

IMGP5614.jpg

It's so much easier to take wood off, than put it back on. I think once I bind and finish the body, the repair will be almost invisible.

14. wow looks so much better now!

15. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Nice repair... I've had to do that before too

16. Excellent repair :) I can't wait to see this project finished.

17. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    wow this bass is very beautiful.

i've owned a mb-25 string in the past. this bass looks nicer IMO and hopefully sounds great!

18. Beauchene Implements

Dec 31, 2007
    Maine
    Technician at NS Design
    I've been debating about what finish to use on the body for a couple weeks. I thought about tung oil, but I did an experiment on a scrap piece of spruce and mahogany and the surface I wanted wasn't even starting to build, even after a dozen coats. I thought about spraying it, but I'd either have to job it out, or acquire a bunch of equipment that I don't want and can't afford. So I decided to go with epoxy. Not any epoxy, though...this stuff is from a company called Resin Research, it's really high quality, harder and more UV resistant that west system. I learned about it while a friend of mine was carving me a surfboard. We didn't use it on my board but a lot of guys are getting stellar results with it. Apparently it's harder and more UV resistant that polyurethane resin. I bet it will work great on my bass. So I built an epoxying rack, and I'll put my base coat on tomorrow.
    IMGP5620.jpg

After that I'll do the binding, then put on a gloss coat. Meanwhile, my wife (the best jeweler ever) has volunteered to cut a control cover out of some sterling silver sheet she had laying around. This is going to be coolest piece on the bass, I think. Since it's a semi-hollow body, the control cover will be like a quasi-soundhole. Here's the outline for the control grate...
    cover.jpg

...and it will be held on with rare-earth magnets. The biggest hole on the grate should accommodate the tip of my pinky to pry the cover off for battery changes, etc.

19. Wow! That control cavity cover is going to be spectacular! That's a great custom touch.

20. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    I've only just found this thread and can I say that that bass is fantastic. Also that cavity cover is going to be great!

Good luck with the rest of the build, that's quite a bass you've built already.