Build alpha: Rob Allen inspired

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Beauchene Implements, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Beauchene Implements

Beauchene Implements Commercial User

Dec 31, 2007
    Maine
    Technician at NS Design
    Thanks homie. But I know what the weak link really is...it's the trussrod I just broke!:mad::crying::bawl::mad:

Dammit, I think I did the exact thing Wilser warned me about. The end nut (the part where the allen key goes) snapped right off when trying to relieve a slight upbow (strings were off, too...) bass is still playable, bow is almost gone, but if the bow ever gets worse, I'll be prying this epoxy-adhered, lignum fingerboard off. Grrrr.

2. Bassisgreat

Bassisgreat

Feb 23, 2008
    Dallas, Tx
    D'OH!! sorry to hear it, man. lesson learned, won't happen again. :)

3. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    wow... that's some seriously good work you've done there (your first bass build? that's pretty darned good...)

You've got quite a tall saddle there... you aren't worried about it breaking along the grain? Is your neck angled, or is it parallel to the body line? If it's parallel, I'd think about routing 1/16" or so out of the neck pocket (or off the back of the neck, say, using a jointer, but I think the neck pocket is a better place for it) and then reducing your saddle height until you have the action you want. Less stress on the saddle that way, as it's wood.

***EDIT*** sory to hear about the truss rod... that totally sucks! :(

4. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    How about the soundclips? ;-)

I hope, you managed to repair that truss rod thing..

5. Beauchene Implements

Dec 31, 2007
    Maine
    Technician at NS Design
    So I got the action where I like it, neck seems to be stable where I last set the truss rod. Not going to fix the finish issue on the upper horn, I'm already used to it. It plays nice, I love it!

Anyone know where I can host some sound samples?

6. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    Myspace, Megadownload, Yousendit, etc.

7. Yvarg

Yvarg Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Lake Forest, CA
    fileden.com

8. Beauchene Implements

Dec 31, 2007
    Maine
    Technician at NS Design
    Thanks guys.

Here you go, a little sample. Please judge the bass, not the rusty fingers playing it ;)

This was recorded straight into garageband, no effects or EQ.

20080321 bass demo2.mp3

9. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Great uprighty sound, gotta love that piezo.

I think your bend over the bridge is a bit abrupt for flats, hopefully the windings won't break on you. Really sounds nice though. What strings are you using?

10. Beauchene Implements

Dec 31, 2007
    Maine
    Technician at NS Design
    Thanks Magni. I made the bend over the bridge purposefully steep, the instructions that came with the Matrix pickup say the steeper the better. The slot is angled back a bit to increase downward pressure. The saddle is also shorter than that last pic:

IMGP5711.jpg

I'm using Thomastik Infeld flatwound jazz strings. They make a 32" scale set. I'm thinking about trying their acousticore strings; bronze roundwound over nylon cores, they are made for piezos.

11. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Sounds good, nice mwah and acoustic like bloom.

12. RAHAZ

RAHAZ

Feb 12, 2007
    Arizona
    Wow. That has a great tone to it. Congrates!:hyper:

13. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    I like the sound! maybe once I get the same pickup for my semi-hollow... It's a bit pricey here, but everything else (wood, hardware..) is going to cost less than the pickup, so the overall price won't be that horrible :)

my first plans are on paper, it's a single-cut fretted, with bolt-on neck, no magnetic pickup. something similar to RobAllens, but with a more Fodera-ish design.. but this topic is about YOUR bass, sorry ;-)

great bass, have fun with it!
    any full-size pictures on the finished instrument? :)

14. Bassisgreat

Bassisgreat

Feb 23, 2008
    Dallas, Tx
    That sounds great, man! Congrats!

15. Beauchene Implements

Dec 31, 2007
    Maine
    Technician at NS Design
    Just to finish this thread properly, I ended up making a new neck for this bass a few months ago, walnut/maple with a ziricote fingerboard. Much nicer, lighter, and "alive" sounding than that cocobolo/ziricote/lignum vitae truss-rod breaker I did at first. Gave it a volume knob, too. Never did get around to that fancy electronics cover, though...still nagging the jeweler lady...

IMGP6425.jpg

IMGP6424.jpg

l_77434191d66fe7d22e6f3f545e47b0dc.jpg

16. Have you thought about putting some sort of exotic wood veneer on the headstock? I think it looks pretty bland at the moment compared to the rest of that gorgeous bass. Just an idea though...

17. Beauchene Implements

Dec 31, 2007
    Maine
    Technician at NS Design
    There's a maple veneer on the headstock face. Other than finishing the cavity cover, I'm done with this. Got a new bass in the works, and a new thread to match! http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=545114

18. ClaytonH

ClaytonH

Mar 10, 2009
    Hudson, OH
    where would you get that kind of epoxy?
    I like the look of it and it seams like an easy way to finish a bass

19. aquamentus

aquamentus

Apr 15, 2005
    Keokuk, IA
    The more I look at this bass the more I like it.

20. Beauchene Implements

Dec 31, 2007
    Maine
    Technician at NS Design
    http://www.foamez.com/resin-research-epoxy-single-board-kit-p-476.html

Got enough left to do probably 5 more basses. Just remember to use it on a warm day (like around 80˚F+), it flows out a whole lot better. I plan to use this stuff as grain filler on my new build, then spray w/ a more traditional finish.