Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Build dates on Fodera basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Is it possible to figure out when a Fodera was made? Is the serial number a date code of some type?

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    you cant get it from the serial number. for example heres how it breaks down

e52084n
    e5-emperor 5
    2084-2,084th bass made
    n-neck through

call fodera with the serial and theyll give you all the info you need on it.

3. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    narud,

Thanks for the info. I don't have bass in hand or anywhere close that I can get the serial number.

Would you happen to know when Fodera started using the Pope pre?

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    quickest way to tell if its a pope or HAZ LAB is the master tone nob on the volume. If you have the master tone its a pope......

5. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Brian, when you say "master tone" do you mean that it affects the tone of the bass when it's in the passive mode?

The bass has a master volume, blend, three tone pots, a passive/active switch and a mute switch.

Do you know when Fodera went to the pope from the Haz Lab? I'm trying to get an idea of when an Imperial was built.

THANKS!!

6. On my Fodera with the Pope preamp, the volume knob is concentric with a passive tone control.

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Yea, funky's is a Pope. Jerry It sounds like your a the HAZ LAB. Their very close to the same preamps. The pope added a Master tone nob to the board. Any fodera's I've had with the pope I've run with the master tone wide open. Its cool if you want more of a thud type sound or old school sound.
    Over all tone control's can be added to most any preamp though, even your HAZ LAB. Just have some one drop a tone control between the preamp and jack. You can play with different capacitors for values. I personally wouldn't both though.

Thanks
    brian

8. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I don't have the Fodera yet. But just trying to get an idea of when it was built. I won't be able to get the serial number until I actually purchase the bass.
    The seller doesn't have a clue as to the age.

I appreciate the info about the preamps. Do you guys know when the Pope started being used?

9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Hey Jerry you got pics of the Imperial? I'd love to see it :) It is easily one of my favorite bass designs.

10. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I don't have it yet. I just sold one of my primo vintage amps and I'm waiting for the funds to come through on that. I'll post pics just as soon as I get her.

I was going to go for a Monarch 4 but this Imperial came into the picture.

11. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    I don't know if this helps much.. but it might narrow it down. I bought a used '97 Emperor and it had the Haz-lab pre. I bought a 2000 Emperor that has the pope. When I ordered my 2000 Emperor in October of 99 the Pope was the standard preamp.
    Hope this helps ........

Dan

12. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well as far as I know it is just Joey and Vinnie that build the basses. John at Bass Alone tells me its at least 12 months to have one built and I have seen up to 18 months said by others. I might order another Imperial soon just so it won't be two years before I get my next bass.

13. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    im pretty sure they have at least another guy working on basses. also, depending on what dealer you go through or if you go direct, you could be done sooner or later depending on where you're placed on the rotation.

and bsm, whats bass alone like? john quoted me a price on my emperor that was a grand higher than every other dealer. needless to say, we didnt do business.

14. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i dont understand why the seller wont just give you the serial number. its right on the headstock.

15. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I figure that it is from the mid 90's.

I'll give the place a call and see if they can get me the serial. I was really curious about the preamp, too and I now know that it's a Haz Lab. Thanks to all you guys. Much appreciated!

16. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Was it that Emperor that was on his site not too long ago? I played that bass and it was friggin awesome. I think it played better than my Imperial and F bass, however I think I just need some lighter strings and a set up on my Imperial and it will play like that Emperor. Well depending on the upgrades the bass had it could easily be a grand more than anything else. Plus it was a consignment. If someone says "I want to try selling this bass at this price" he will put it up. The bass sold extremely fast so the price certainly wasn't a problem for someon. Or were you talking about prices on one to be built?

I personally like Bass Alone a great deal. I live ten minutes away from it and have purchased five basses through him. He has always been very very friendly even when I had bought nothing from him. Now that being said I don't necessarily shop from him exclusively as I would definitely buy from Adrian or Brian or Bass Central if needed. It's just super convenient for me to go to Bass Alone and I dig the place anyway.

Edit: I just realized you said MY emperor. Can you tell me what he quoted you and what you actually got it for? Also what upgrades did you get and where did you get it from? I would really like to know since I am going to plan another Imperial. You can PM me if you don't want to post it publicly but I would really like to know.