1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

build half way through

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Grant Bass, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

Oct 14, 2010
    well; kinda late in the build to be starting a thread; so how about some history in place of 'actual content' ?
    i had a neck blank that i glued up a while back; stricltly for the sake of using this carmalised maple i got; i used the soft species before and it was suuuper dark w/ a red/walnut 'hue'
    the hard is this gold type colour, so iwanted to make something out of it, to see if i wood (another post i just read lol) suggest it to anyone else.
    the body was scraps i kept gluing together of cut offs and some beautiful maple and walnut that were just to narrow to offer as tops; the pickups were from an old washburn that was brought in to replace them with bartolinis; i
    dont even know what theyre going to sound like :meh:
    006-6.
    008-5.

009-7.
    so ya; ive been working on it about 20 min. at a time basically something to piddle on after ive done all i can on my oreders for the night, but not quite ready to pack it in;
    i wont be updating this too often but hopefully it will be finished by the new year
    :D

2. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    I really like how you did the wings!

3. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

Oct 14, 2010
    thanks; in what respects? the taper; or multi laminates perhaps?

4. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    The taper, line weights, curves - it all works.

5. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Lookin' good!

6. Rob17

Rob17 Banned

Aug 28, 2009
    Holland
    I Really really really like that neck,... very beautyfull.
    The core laminate is just plain sexy...

7. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

Oct 14, 2010
    heres the begining of the finishing;
    its got a front mount electronics; not the pretiest cavity in the world; but done for speed; literally have 10 mins a night to work on it; and its for me for a back up p-bass so i aint gotts to impress no-one;
    the p-pickups are in wood shells with exposed poles;hence the giant holes; and i dont do inlays on my 'own' instruments
    005-8.
    this is a bad photo; but it shows the headstock; the pup covers match this
    001-8.
    006-7.

8. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

Oct 14, 2010
    those arnt my bikes btw

9. This looks incredible!
    Any new progress???

10. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

Oct 14, 2010
    just curing away;
    started finishing the pickup shells and control plate; prolly no point in pics until assembly;
    thanks so much

11. DizzyExiled

DizzyExiled

Jan 22, 2010
    Chico, Ca
    something about the wood colors and design of that piece and the graininess of those photos, makes it look like they were taken in the 70s.

12. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

Oct 14, 2010
    :ninja:

13. bommer

bommer

May 13, 2009
    Canada, Eh!
    god, you make the nicest basses.

i wish i had extra income to spend on another bass.

14. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

Oct 14, 2010
    that means alot coming from a guy with that avatar; Joe made me want to build in the first place!

15. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

Oct 14, 2010
    the finished product;
    001-10.
    003-9.
    005-10.
    007-8.
    the control plate is a little out of place; colour wise; in hindsight of shoul've/ should dye it with an amber colour; or make a copy out of something dark.
    plays very nice; soiunds like a run of the mill pbass, balanced very well.
    if i could change one thing; the bridge was a tad to close; by the time i adjusted the intonation my strung thru strings were at a 80 deg. anglewith the E and A; they can still go hardtail if its a problem; but i had the body holes drilled out where i assumed :crying: would give me enough play room, with out actually stringing it up for a mock intonation; cause if i had to move the screw holes back, wouldnt of been a big deal; i just rushed thru it; looking forward to jamming with this one. its my new back up P.

16. Very, very cool!
    With a body that small though is there any noticeable neckdive?
    It looks fantastic man! Enjoy it! :bassist:

17. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

Oct 14, 2010
    it actually sits pretty good; mostly yhanks to the button positions;
    no neck 'dives' but i coulda handled it staying a little more in playing position!
    thanks!

18. DizzyExiled

DizzyExiled

Jan 22, 2010
    Chico, Ca
    I dig the control cover, and I agree that it's out of place. still a damn fine piece.

19. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Great work!

20. P. Bass

P. Bass

Mar 17, 2010
    Toronto
    Well done bro! It must be very satisfying. Love the "P"
    B.