1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Build III: Inspired by guess who

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by I-Am-The-Slime, Nov 20, 2018.

1. IMG_20181120_093655922.

nuff said ;)

Microbass, RobertUI, WTXBass and 3 others like this.
  2. Teacher

Teacher

May 3, 2012
    Carol Timson??

3. okay okay, here's some more info ;)

Hardware
    IMG_20181120_103548224.

Ultralights, generic humbucker (to be covered), tremolo bridge off eBay. I have no clue what I'm doing with the tremolo, zero experience with that, fly by the seat of my pants, per usual... It's 1.25" below the body face, so that will limit how thin this body can be, aiming for 1.5", not quite CT style.

Wood
    IMG_20181120_110103761.

Rock maple 3/4" body core, 1/4" walnut back, front will be 1/4" purpleheart on top of 1/4" walnut, carved. Neck will be wenge, rock maple, with a purpleheart center strip, neckthrough.

Started ripping neck laminates today, first glue tomorrow.

I'm moving cross-country at the end of January, hoping to have this done before then... :help:

4. Yeah, she's my favorite :roflmao:

RobertUI and Teacher like this.
  5. Teacher

Teacher

May 3, 2012
    Bwahaha!

I-Am-The-Slime likes this.
  6. A little progress. I have glued up and rough dimensioned the neck blank. Rock maple, wenge, and purpleheart.

IMG_20181126_123628088.

I'll start work on the wings today :bassist:

Thanks for looking!

7. Teacher

Teacher

May 3, 2012
    Mmmmmmmm....purpleheart.....

8. I'm watching this closely as I start my own CT journey in a few weeks.

9. Phew, that's hard work with just a coping saw ;)

IMG_20181127_101606598.

10. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I know you mean "guess who?", but every time I read this title, I think "The Guess Who"... :D

11. Got the cores of maple and walnut glued up. Now time to hog out the control cavity. I used the drillpress to create waypoints along the outline.

IMG_20181128_1031189312.

Then cut it out with the old coping saw and cleaned up with a sanding drum and file.

IMG_20181128_120858642.

I also used a router bit in the drill press to remove the bottoms of the nubs for the magnets, to leave more room for pots etc..

IMG_20181128_124300979.

Next is chambering of the bass-side wing, need to put some thought into how I'm going to carve it first.

Thanks for watching!

Matt Liebenau likes this.
  12. Looks great so far!

I have been on a chambering kick of late, I love a light bass. I also usually work out the final design on the fly which means I'm constantly worried I'm going carve into a chamber. It hasn't happened yet, but it's always a worry. On my build off bass I'm going to do some chambering, but I've got this one planned way more than any I've built before so I shouldn't have any stress (famous last words).

13. rudy4444

rudy4444

Mar 13, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Man Slime! You need to stop by Horrid Freight for a cheap set of Forstners! ;)

saabfender and I-Am-The-Slime like this.
  14. Thanks, Jisch! Here's what I ended up going with, should leave plenty of room for carving. I'll also make a drawing that I can line up later to doublecheck during the carving process. I figure this should save about 0.5 lbs max. The beams probably give no relevant structural support, but they make me feel better somehow :cool:

IMG_20181128_175929342.

No need for cleaning up here, nobody will ever see this (except all you lovely TB peeps, but I know my secret's safe with you ;)).

Hey Rudy. I hear ya. I actually have a set of cheap fleabay forstners. Not sure it would have saved me that much time or effort, though. The thing is, time and effort is kind of what this is about for me. This hobby is all about the satisfaction of raw working hands and time well spent (I'm currently funemployed, starting a position at Virginia Tech in January). Moreover, I now have a nice hunk o' wood left over, I could make knobs out of it someday or perhaps a fancy hardwood doorstop :smug:

IMG_20181128_192307650.

The purpleheart tops have been glued on and are curing. The walnut backs are planned for tomorrow, I'll use the cut-nail milling trick to cut out the control-cavity cover out of the treble-side back first. Now time for a little Bulleit Rye! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

15. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I am a dirty slut for any kind of CT variant.

16. Hahaha, all are welcome at this party! :laugh:

Microbass likes this.
  17. I would remove those ribs, as you say they won't do anything for support, but I get it :-D

18. Here's how I made the grain-matched cover using a cut-off finishing nail in the drill press following a template.

IMG_20181129_143038899.

IMG_20181129_145728778.

I'll add a veneer binding to the cover to make a snug fit.

IMG_20181129_145814505.

Both backs have now been glued. A rough shaping of the wings is next...

Thanks for looking :)

wraub, joseplluissans, Beej and 3 others like this.
  19. Another day's work

IMG_20181201_102341446.

Shinto and half-round rasps. Looks a little off without the neck taper. Work on the neck is next.

20. I've been out in VA for a few days, hence the lack of progress. Today I worked mostly on fixing up a buddy's guitar and tweaking the fretless single-cut from my previous build. Got a bit of work done on this project though, nothing worth showing. Prepped some boards for gluing to the body-side portion of the neck to equal the 1.5" body depth.

Calculated that a 1 degree neck angle should give me good string height for a for a bridge saddle on the E string >1/2" above the body face, with a 0.2" fretboard edge raised 1/8" above the body face at the 24th fret :) Right? :D:thumbsup: