Build Me a Better Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nysurf2772, Jun 24, 2005.

1. nysurf2772

Jun 20, 2005
    OK---I've got serious GAS

I need a small, light rig for transport in New York City...

I play indie-pop with a guitarist who plays a fender 1-12" combo and a keyboardist (Korg N-1) and a really loud hitting drummer

I like my tone so far--but perhaps I can enhance it, or simplify my rig......

I'm playing a CIJ Fender Jazz '75 re-issue
    1-15" Ashdown Cabinat
    A GK 400RB-III
    and a Tech 21 Sansamp bass driver

any ideas?
  2. Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    all I would add is a 2-10" cab or a 4-10" cab
  3. +1 on adding the 2x10. Having the high end in there will open up a world of sound from your setup. The BDDI will come to life too.
  4. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Guys, he needs a small rig and wants to simplify, not add more.

Swap out the Ashdown cab with a Bag End 1x12" (smaller, lighter) or 1x15" (still smaller than your current cab I would guess) cab. Then swap out your GK head for a GK 1001RB-II or 700RB-II (only a few pounds heavier, and tons more headroom), and sell the BDDI.

For a 'BDDI-esque' tone, turn up the boost to about three o' clock, preamp volume to noon, put the contour knob all the way up, and use the master for volume.

That would get your rig tons louder, and it's even smaller. Tone on the cabinet change though, comes down to opinion (but would probably get louder than your current 1x15 cab).
  5. Yep...musta missed that part.
  6. BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Hey NYSURF, I think I rehearse in the same space with you the music building on 39th and 8th ave. You're the one with the Ashdown mag115 cab right? Yeah I've been using a schroeder 1210. PM about demo ing the cab. I think you'll dig it.

7. nysurf2772

Jun 20, 2005
    yes that's me...small world....check your PMs
  8. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

Do you have P.A. support? If so run the SansAmp direct and use your wedge.

More and more I am playing without any amp at all! Talk about light, quick setup, FOH guys love me. It's really the way to go.
  9. nysurf2772

Jun 20, 2005
    nine times out of ten in NYC you'll be playing through the PA....and alot of the clubs have an ok backline amp.....I'm still reluctant to carry something that can't fill a small club with sound.......for example, the last show we played, the PA system was partially broken down, so we only miked up the keyboard and vocals.....I like some consistency as well.....that is why I got the sansamp to begin with
  10. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

I have a pedal board the has the new SansAmp Programmable Bass Driver, Compressor, Tuner and Radial DI. That's it. I run direct all the time at rehearsals and live gigs with a P.A.

I take a double gig bag with two basses and a pedalboard case and that's it.

On small gigs without a P.A. (which I haven't done in about a year) I would probably take a power and cab and run the board through it.

Now, BIG shows like Tommixx does ;) I'd have a larger rig.

Just my $0.02
  11. nysurf2772

Jun 20, 2005
    I'd like the new programmable DI.....I've got the old you still need to run some compression.....I thought the sansamp provides a bit of compression as part of it's emulation model?