Build Thread: DIY Sound Treatment Panels for Suburban Garage Recording!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by IconBasser, Jul 8, 2019.

1. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    So! I ended up reheading and tuning up the whole kit over the last couple days. Yet another distraction

I recorded a partial test today, just to see if removing only portion of the panels would make a difference. I did a couple pre/post samples with only the wall panels off and then on again. The four "bass traps" and the two on the ceiling were up the whole time. Partially as a test for the wall panels, mostly because I didn't want to get up on a ladder and break more of a sweat. It's miserably hot in this garage.

The result kinda surprised me. The wall panels are very selective about which frequencies they absorbed. Now, this is one of those things where you may know the verbal contents of a piece of knowledge, but you don't actually know what that means until you've experienced it. That's what wall panels are supposed to do, but you're left with the mistaken belief that the reverb will get dramatically shorter compared to the control (no panels). The reverb is still there, but it's much steeper in its decay along the high mids and highs, so you don't get a wash of fizzy sound that drowns things out. Ironically, this makes everything sound brighter, due to the transients being more defined.

Also, forgive my butchery of basic rhythms, my drummer is on vacation.

I'll see about getting a full takedown vs full install comparison. I'll give you a 60% chance that I'll actually do it. Desert heat + summer + enclosed space + physical labor = uuuurrrrgggghhhhghghghghghghghghh.

kirkdickinson and seamonkey like this.
  2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    My space is quite bright as well. That’s what lots of low end control will do. I’m glad to hear the high density panels are working out well for you. I prefer a room with a short decay time to a totally dead one, so it sounds like a winner for my taste! Hopefully you’re enjoying it.

3. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    @IconBasser As you discover the pleasure of hearing more accurately where you play, imagine the next project will be sound treating the room where you mix!

4. kirkdickinson

kirkdickinson Supporting Member

Very nice build thread. I just built some, did something completely different. I didn't take enough photos.

IconBasser likes this.
  5. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    Thanks kirk! Throw a couple photos up, I wanna see what you did.

6. kirkdickinson

kirkdickinson Supporting Member

I just started a new thread in this forum.

Another DIY Acoustic Panel Build

7. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    I finished up my micing setup and started tracking a new album yesterday. Even the unmixed raw tracks sound surprisingly good.

[​IMG]

And there's nothing sexier than proper cable management

[​IMG]

I'll see about bouncing out some drum samples today - we're planning doing another couple hours of tracking this afternoon.

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Nice Work!

First step treat the room and you got the benefit.
    Now there is a lot you can do in software. "Virtual room treatment" as such.
    If you have another channel you might want to try a omni room mic track in addition to the close mics.
    This can help to add back some room ambiance from your treated room if you find the sound a little dry.

9. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    honestly, where it's at right now with the just the overheads is pretty much perfect. It's not a dead room by any means, but the panels made it bearable and legible. The ambient roominess is actually right where I wanted the overall tone for most of my projects - grind drumming is supposed to feel roomy and claustrophobic.

here's a couple samples of the sound I'm getting here:

First, the raw unprocessed drum tracks -

Now, with some various eq,compression, and reverb -

I'm calling this endeavor an unqualified, if slightly zany success :D

seamonkey likes this.
  10. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    Nice work! Glad to hear all your work paid off.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021