1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Build Thread: Habanero, Simplified.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Beauchene Implements, May 29, 2011.

1. This will be build number four.

Screenshot2011-05-29at83047.

Specs:
    -Strings: 5, BEADG, fretless
    -Scale: 34"
    -Body: Mahogany, one piece
    -Neck: 3-piece Maple, prob. mahogany core, 1.6" at nut
    -Bridge: Hipshot A5, .669" spacing
    -Pickups and Electronics: Homegrown.

A continuation of my Habanero shape; I've been playing it a lot, and have fallen head-over-heels for fretless fives. A couple of changes:

-Horns, vice the single cut. I find neck dive distracting, even the tiny bit that my last build has...but extending the upper bout to the 12th fret just doesn't look right, so horns it is.

-Narrower string spacing. I play with a lighter touch in my old age, and with more double stops. .750 spacing at the bridge is just too big on a fiver. I'm going with .669 spacing at the bridge, and a 1.6" nut. Skinny.

-I plan to tone down my wood choices from the last couple of builds, just mahogany, maple, prob. ziricote fingerboard.

-I've updated the BarnaclePre from my last build to include the ground isolator caps and hi-cut switch:

Screenshot2011-05-29at102304.

-The pickups will probably be split singles, the same red FR-4 board as my last one.

-Controls will be bass/treb/pan/vol, and high-cut switch.

I'm in the planning phase, so don't be surprised if as usual, the finished product differs significantly from this post :) Build progress will be slow on this one, my hands will be full with baby number two on the way this summer! Cheers- Adam

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Looking forward to it Adam

3. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Would moving the rear strap button up further do anything to help with the neck dive?

Can't wait to see how this turns out, you make some impressive stuff

Greg

4. miziomix

miziomix Über on my mind Commercial User

Sep 28, 2009
    Milan, Kuala Lumpur, Paris.
    Bass builder @ MüB.
    WHAAAT?? No Cocobolo?? :D

That's great Adam! I like the upper horn addition to the design.
    Will follow number 4 4 sure ;)

5. CH Design

CH Design Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    In.
    FWIW, I think a headless design really suits this body style.

6. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Getting an odd, Ric-oid vibe from the horns and headstock. And I fully approve.

7. BassCycle

BassCycle

Jan 6, 2006
    Temecula, CA
    Builder: Classic Bass Works
    Looking forward to seeing this develop!

8. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I like the body shape on this one - sleek, but looks like it will balance well. I'm looking forward to watching this build !

9. I can't tell which incarnation I like more: double, or single? Looking forward to another incredible build!

10. Thanks everyone, I'm pretty excited about this one, too.

Haha, yeah, my wife has banned it from the house :scowl: The dust affects her pretty severely. No cocobolo until my workshop is a separate building from the house- that's OK, it's time to move on. :)

I thought about doing another headless. I like that the headless Habanero pretty much stay in tune until it's time to change the strings! But the cost of the hardware is prohibitive, and I just can't love the look of a totally headless bass.

Yeah, the 4001 has a place in my heart. The little turn-in on the horns and the wave-like headstock are a nod. The one that I owned came into my life when I was too young to appreciate it, I'm still bitter after selling it 17 years ago.

Here's the slab of farmed Honduran Mahogany I picked up a few weeks ago. I think that ribbon figure will look great on a one-piece body.

7c813a01.

EDIT: After looking at that pic, I took some measurements...

Screenshot2011-05-31at123810.

Nice. I can juuuust get two out of that blank. A fretted AND a fretless, maybe? :bassist::bassist::bassist:

11. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    everytime I see that bass, I just think...."it's soooo cute" like gawkers looking at a baby....LOL

12. CH Design

CH Design Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    Yeah, I agree that the price of headless hardware is a little much.

TWINS! :hyper:

That is a seriously nice piece of Mahogany. I can't seem to find anything that nice locally. This is going to be another great build thread.

13. I concede that they don't look 'normal.' But now that I've built a couple of these small-body basses, my Fender Jazz just feels ridiculous. It's unnecessarily large, all that body wood serves no purpose, other than for weighing my shoulder down, knocking into stuff, and being a pain in the @ss to transport. I design them small because it's functional- But some dudes feel the need to play giant basses, like ballet-dancing dudes feel the need to wear codpieces...:bag:

14. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    dub-subbed.

15. this is gonna be a good one. i feel the gods of the low end are pleased

16. Woodshedding. Just with no wood.

Echinoderm006.

Echinoderm006b.

Echinoderm006a.

Won't actually be any wood cuttin' for a while... I'm stepping up my game a notch.

17. Slowly but surely.

ScreenShot2011-07-26at111606.

ScreenShot2011-07-26at112135.

ScreenShot2011-07-26at112216.

Edit: I probably need to change the name of this thread/bass. It no longer bears any resemblance to the original Habanero. I've been calling this one 'echinoderm' in my incremental saves, I'll probably stick with that.

18. Love it! That bass is fricken sexy!
    i'd love to check out the feel of a Habenero or an Echinoderm .

19. Photobassist

Photobassist

Dec 18, 2010
    Japan
    I would buy a bass from you based on this statement alone. Why have all the extras if they do nothing? Excellent philosophy. Subbed.

20. cut some wood already!!! :bag: :D

subscribing!