1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Build Thread! Pratt Bass Single Cut 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ebladeboi123, Aug 26, 2012.

1. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    This thread comes from some happiness and some sadness from how I got here.

Brief story- skip if you please.
    Back in May my basses were jacked out of the band van after a gig. I had built a Warmoth dinky JJ (demeter pre + jazz pups + a/p switch + piezos) and just finished customizing a American Precision deluxe (nordy pup + pre and a custom wiring to get the JJ sounding like a humbucker). They were finally both done for all intents and purposes. Luckily I had them insured and have gotten the money to replace them.
    End Story

So, here starts the build thread! I live around Akron OH and there is a wonderful builder here- Oscar Pratt. Some guys here may know him, but he's a little more unknown, but his basses play like butter. I choose him to do the impossible to replace my basses.

The bass will be as follows
    Single Cut 4 string design
    Villex Soap Bar pups (a little unknown, but TOTALLY killing)
    Mike Pope Pre
    Some of the Villex passive controls for the passive setting
    Hip shot hardware
    Woods: the goal is to get some old-school stu zender tone so I looked as his old warwicks and picked similar woods
    Its a neck through so thats the most important the. The bass is Wenge with Curly Maple strips and a Wenge fretboard. The body is swamp ash. And then the top is a Camphor Burl (beautiful)

I have some pics, so I'll be posting throughout.

Woods
    IMAG0581.

Neck Glued
    2012-08-179517-44-0895717.

Body Wings With Top (not carved yet) + Neck- i think they're just placed next to each other- not glued yet (thats this week)
    2012-08-219517-57-2395901.
    2012-08-219517-58-0895663.
    2012-08-219517-56-5595115.

More Pics soon hopefully!

2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    Oscar's basses are pure sex. You are a lucky man.

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Oscar is super nice and an incredibly talented luthier. And one of the more passionate luthiers to come on the scene in the last few years.

Pratt endorser

4. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I got lucky with my timing with NAMM coming up. He's trying to get this done rather quickly so he can focus on building some NAAM basses. Which means he cut his normal build time in almost half! I can't wait to start playing this.... Not that I'm complaining with my current bass either- a '79 ibanez musician.