Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

build up strength in little finger???

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by aabassist, Dec 17, 2002.

1. IS the best way to build up strength in your little finger to just practice scales??

Also what is ment by the term, "playing flat handed"

2. ive never been told i play flat handed, but i saw it mentioned somewhere and wasn't sure if i did or not (i dont)

3. A lot. I've been playing for about a year and still can't effectively use my pinkie.

Not necessarily scales, I've found just playing anything using your pinkie will help to 'train' it.

4. playing alternating octaves up and down the neck, fretting using the index and little finger will help.

suggested basslines to try; "alright" by Jamiroquai, "the walk", "let's go to bed", "icing sugar" by the Cure, "Paranoid" by Black sabbath (the "can you help me" bit- a faster tempo on the Megadeth cover),

more demanding ones; "everybody dance" by Chic, "right on time" by RHCP.

5. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    Just practice, I started forcing myself to use it everytime i hit an octave...(try using it in "travelling without moving" by jamiroquai on all the octaves).

It took me like a week t get used to but now its as "used" as all my other fingers.