Build your Carvin here!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slaphappy, Aug 23, 2000.

1. All right, let's all be honest. There are probably lots of us that have been to Carvin's cool site and "built" a few basses, especially fun with that color selector so you can see what the various colors and woods look like :) So, feel free on this thread to share what bass or basses you've built and even hovered over that "Place Order" button with :D Here's mine:

Bunny Brunel 5 string
    Walnut wings, 5 ply maple neck w/walnut stripes (clear coat finish)
    Walnut top on headstock
    Gold hardware
    J99 in the neck, humbucker in the bridge
    Ahhhh......maybe someday.

LB70F (Fretless)
    Clean fretboard, no lines
    Again, same walnut/neck config as the BB, OR maybe Blueburst on quilt. Sweeeeeeet.
    Gold hardware
    Dual J99 PUs
    Flatwounds on this one

Let's have some fun with this; plz no Carvin bashing here. This is just for fun.
  2. Claude

Jul 31, 2000
    You said "build..." - Are the kit carvins of the same components as the assembled ones? Would your money be better spent on a kit carvin, or as bass costing the same as the kit ($450) I am a stairbuilder by trade, and know the assembly and finishing would be easy for me, but I don't want to end up with an overpriced piece of junk. Sorry, I know this isn't exactly the type of response you were hoping for...
  3. Back in 1993, I called up Carvin, catalog in hand, and ordered one.. it was like ordering a pizza! I just kept naming the toppings.. here's what I got:
    LB70, cherry sunburst, quilted maple top, gold hardware, hipshot extender, tung oil finish on the back of the neck.
    By the time I was done, it was $1200. I sold it to a friend a few years later for $525! I had gotten a MusicMan Sterling which just blew the Carvin away.
  4. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I agree with Dave - sort of. I wouldn't say a Sterling "blows away" a Carvin, but they have a comparable feel, and if you prefer the sound, it's a great bass (definitely better than a Stingray IMO). And as much as I dig my Carvin, I wouldn't spend more than a grand on one (although resale value is inconsequential to me - basses are generally crappy investments regardless). But of course, the Rumpledfish kicks them both, right? ;)

And Dave, I saw in another thread somewhere your drummer quit the band. Bummer, dude. :( Remember, I told you not to lose that guy! Quick, go kiss his @$$ before he gets too far away!! ;)

5. Yes, IMO the Rumblefish kicks them both! The Sterling blew away the Carvin for me at the time (1994). It just had so much more balls!
    As for our drummer, he had crappy meter anyway. We think we have a replacement.
    And now, back to the topic.. Carvins!
  6. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Hmmm... dream carvin... okay:

6 string, wide spacing
    36" scale
    Dual Bart Soapbars
    HAZ Lab preamp
    7 piece neck (Maple/mahogany)
    ABM bridge