Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

build your own bass (body anyway)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lakini's Juice, Feb 23, 2001.

1. first up, i go to a high school that makes you do a project to graduate. and there is at least 1 person a year that build there own guitar. they probably buy the neck. so that go me thinking, how cool would it be to build your own bass? i am only in 10th grade right now. so there is still 2 years. anyway, does anyone know a good book or books or even website or something that could help me learn how to build a bass? to some people i might sound like a dumbass that is wayyyy over his head. but hey, i am just trying to learn something new.

by the way, if you want to movie this post somewhere else. fine with me. i didnt know where to put it.

2. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    There is a great book by Melvyn Hiscock about making your own guitars and basses. I can't remember the exact title, but it is a great book. I used it to build a couple of basses and a guitar, and they came out good. I bought the necks, though.

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
  4. i'm was thinking the exact same thing as you, however i'm a little older,, i was still worried about building the neck,, my solution is either to buy the neck so that i have a usable instrument,, or buy the neck and body then take my time finishing it and aquireing the parts

what u have to remember is that if your doing it for school( i live in england, it may be different for u),, but if u start it u want to produce something thats goin to get u the best marks possible.
    it's not always a case that the teachers will want u to build everything from scratch, often they prefer it if u use the materials in combitnation with prebought items,, for instance the same as i'm thinkg of doin

i'm still not sure of making the p bass body, and i've got a good bit of wood working knowledge, and my dad uses alot of hardwood, lathe work etc

before u start , make sure u have ago with the tools u will use, that u have them to hand and that u have enough knowledge to build it, in most cases your teachers won't be experienced guitar makers

stu

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I bought a book called "Build your own Guitar". I think that's the book that everybody above is referring to. I know you can buy it from Stewart MacDonalds www.stewmac.com or maybe from a local bookstore.

6. Gentlemen, Gentlemen, you already have a rather nice resource for these questions and more. Just look up the list a few slots to the "Setup" forum and you'll find lots of posts about this very subject. There are at least 7 or 8 regulars to that forum that have built and or are continuing to build basses for fun and profit.

If you go there now you will see some interesting designs done in a virtual reality setting that are very, lifelike. There are also lots of discussions about the other aspects of rollin' yer own like hardware sources, wood selection, and general construction advice.

The point here is NEVER underestimate the value of what you already have at your disposal expecially here at TB

If you want a website dedicated exclusively to guitar construction try the MIMF. That's the Musical Instrument Makers Forum at www.mimf.com. You'll have to register to get the full benefit of the software but it's free and is well worth it.