Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Build your own bass help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chef, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd like to build a bass. Early one piece pickup precision kinda thing, like the Sting Reissue, but maybe hollowbodied?

Where can one get good quality reasonably priced parts for such a project?

My goal would be to build a nice piece for cheaper than I could buy something similar used. Perhaps a basic luthiery/assembly type book might be good as well?

Thanks for info, and btdt type advise;)

2. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I got all mine from allparts.com

3. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    That's some dangerous thinking. Buying a Japanese Fender reissue would probably be the cheapest way to go. Parts basses are tricky, before you know it you could have bought two used basses before you even have everything you need to assemble one yourself.

[​IMG]

4. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I also have Melvyn Hiscock's book Make Your Own Electric Guitar. Very good book to have.

5. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I did the "bass from a kit" last year. I turned out OK, but I could have probably bought a better used bass for what I have invested in it.

6. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
  7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
  8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Good info, better prices, and the t-neck headstock is more accurate. They also do the hollowbody. Sweet!

9. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    1 Don't expect a low final cost. :bawl:
    2 Do a deep dive in the Luthiers forum. The info in there is quite extensive, and may be hard to find by just browsing. But, if you have a specific qestion, do a search there. You'll most probably find the answer.

10. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    So right. EXPENSIVE way to go. But... if you are good with tools, willing to learn, and PATIENT you can make something that will hold a special place in your heart. I've assembled quite a few Warmoths, and it took two or three to really learn the best way to do them. Take Your Time!! Don't try and finish it before your next gig/practice - costly mistakes are made that way. Good Luck.

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'm almost done building my first... I've worked w/ USA Custom AND Warmoth, & was satisfied w/ both.

USACG just does Necks & Bodies. They will do more custom oriented work, than Warmoth.

Warmoth does alot of biz, but if what you want isn't on the website, you can't get it. They do carry all of the various parts & hardware you'll need, including paint & finishing... More of a one-stop-shop for all your needs. Also, they have a wider variety of body styles.

Others have touched on it, but, you WILL spend more building your own bass, than if you just buy a bass. It might not be custom, but it will be cheaper...