1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Build your own pickups for $5

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Apr 30, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
  2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Interesting, but I won't be building one out of popsicle sticks anytime soon.

3. Wayner

Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    I would be curious to understand how the popsicle sticks affect the tone of the pickups. Perhaps a slightly "woody" tone? ;-)

4. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    hmm...:eyebrow: think it's even worth trying?

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Absolutely! As to the whole 'popsicle stick' thing, they're merely a piece in the construction, and are probably a lot more durable a component than what some commercial pickup manufacturers are using for the same purpose!

I have a couple of late sixties 'project' basses with pickups that are less than what we're seeing here and they sound phenominal... Well, the pickups at least :D

-robert

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Perhaps it would give you "Popsicle Tones"?

:rolleyes: :ninja:

7. sounds ok to me a wee bit harsh and microphonic but ok!!! the guys over at luthiers corner might be interested in this for home making those Extended range bass pickups- 9 and 10 and 17 stringers- also people in Europe, Australia e.t.c where pickups are realy expensive and hard to get a hold of might be into it, PLUUUS anybody of a stubborn DIY persuasion AAANNNND people who are broke-y broke figgaz
    Im impressed, i might give it a go:bassist:

8. i like the way that sounds...i might have to try it :)

9. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    What about a P? Popsicle stick won't be big enough, and how do you wire the two halves together?
    Also-how to keep my kids quiet and away from it while I work on it.....they tend to get a bit destructive.

10. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Simple. They can help you by eating the popsicles.

11. hm. neat.

sounds a little farty though. probably cuz of the soundcard on they guy's comp though.

this could be interesting.

that page got Ctrl+D'd.

12. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Oh no...they're 1 1/2 and 4! BIG mess! Sticky everywhere, and I'm stuck winding the pickup. Not good!

13. wow. i spent the whole night on that DIY:Happy site.

i learned how to make a wallet out of playing cards... and made 2 of them...

fun sites.

14. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    OK, so popsicle sticks for a J pickup. What would you use for a P?

15. Maybe those super thick popsicle like sticks that your doctor used to use to hold your tongue down while they took a throat culture?
    -Alex

16. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Havn't you learned anything from the last half century? Television, dude! Just sit them infront of a TV with a tape of...something...Barney, I guess?...and it should shut them up long enough for you to finish one of these. Maybe two of them! I mean, heck, I was raised on television, and I turned out fine.

But yeah, I wanna make me one of these. I was planning on making them for a "project bass" I made a thread about in the Luthier's corner. Basically I wanted to get whatever's the cheapest wood I can find around here and make a bass (inspired by Brian May). So if I get around to it, I'll tell you guys how it turned out.

17. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Just checked out your profile...what I thought! 15. Wait 'till you have kids! You think TV shuts 'em up????? HA! Man oh man are you gonna be in for a treat! :p

18. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yep,

crudely, that's it in a nutshell.

Few things jump out to me is one the cost. If you managed with stuff that was just laying about you may be able to do it if you had it but purchasing materials for pups typically reguires bulk purchase. So you could probably do it for $5 if you made a few hundred of them.

Another thing is to actually hand wind (so called handwound pups aren't hand wound, they're hand controled using a machine) a pup is not only tedious and time consuming but being able to pull it off without breaking that fine gauge wire may not be so simple a task. I've read speculation that it may take some 8 hours to handwind a pup. Even if that's double the time - how much is your time worth, assuming you don't break the winding and complete the project.

Obviously, there would be no consistency so if you ever got a pup you did like, reproducing it would not be an option.

But to make a P pup or whatever you'd simply cut the bobbin (pop-sickle stick) to match the need.

19. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Good points.