Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Build your own pre?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by florentinepogen, Aug 12, 2003.

1. How hard would it be to make your own onboard pre? If you copied the circuit board and wiring setup of an existing pre (J-Retro, MM style) couldn't you save a bunch of money?

2. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    Making your own on-board J-retro would be nearly impossible.

If you come up with a simple design that you like the sound of, you can make it and save a lot of money. It will cost you in time. Making your own J-retro would be so tedious, especially trying to fit all the stuff on a board that fits any control cavity, it's not worth it. If you want to make a pedal that has the J-retro features, that's more feasible but still too much work...

My 2 cents...

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If you are good with electronics, you can design your own pre. However, if you don't have the experience of someone like John East, then it will take you a VERY long time to get a preamp with all those features that sounds good.

On the other hand, if you have the time to spend doing it and if you succeed in developing a good preamp, you could then market it.

I wish you luck. Despite being an electronics engineer myself with experience in this area, I will continue to buy J Retros for my basses.

4. sorry it took me so long to respond to your comments but working 70+ hour weeks has that effect

I'm not sure I would actually make my own preamp but it seems like a lot of money to pay for a bunch of pots, switches, and a board. Does anyone know how complex a standard MM Stingray pre is?