Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Build your own rack case???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bennito, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Bennito

Bennito

Sep 12, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    I wasn't sure where to put this.

I'm in the market right now for a rack case. I've basically decided on a Gator 6U on wheels.

But I just found what appears to be a great website that teaches you how to build your own wooden rack.

What are some advantages/disadvantages of using a wooden rack over a plastic one? I could see the wooden one being slightly heavier, but I'd put it on wheels anyway.

Your advice?

BTW, the website is:

http://colomar.com/Shavano/construction.html

2. what about steel? I was going to make one but wasn't sure if the metal would cause any interference or umm added shock value :p

3. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i built a four space rack out of 3/4" plywood once. it was heavy but could double as a car jackstand. one of these days i want to make a nice one to store all of my home recording gear in. i am think flamed maple or something.

i think weight was the only issue i ever had with it, but mine was only four spaces and i wasnt trying to support a power amp in it, so it all balanced out i guess.

4. quite interesting, but I think 'm going to buy an SKB case anyway.
    I don't have the tools to make such things (although I'd like too)

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
  6. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I made an 8 space wooden rack case. It was practically immovable. The thing was way too heavy and I think that is an important issue with racks.

7. Bennito

Bennito

Sep 12, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Would weight be as big of an issue if we're talking about a 6 space rack on wheels? The only lifting would be in and out of the car, really, which is why I don't think I'd mind the weight. Or is the wood still insanely heavy?

8. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut

Ours was insanely heavy, it was on wheels, but took two people to get it into the van, and even then we were struggling, and my band members were not weak by any means.