1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Build your own !

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Electric Al, Feb 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Is it worthwhile to build a compressor pedal yourself , starting with just the basic wiring schematic ?

If so where is the best place to search for a wiring diagram ?

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

If you know how to read schematics and solder, go for it.

Google "DIY compressor pedal" and have fun.

3. I think it's totally worthwhile in many ways, but an off-the-shelf comp is probably more cost-effective.
    I'd search these places for one that suits you.

diystompboxes.com/
    tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/

Are you going to fab your own PCB, or will it be on vero or perf? PtP would be insane, for me at least.

You can order a PCB from one of the many DIY-Boutique PCB providers
    OR
    Another option is to order a kit from BYOC or MusicDing and mod it to your liking.

4. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

As stated above its worthwhile for the experience, but it will cost you more than buying a manufactured pedal.

5. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia
    If you already have the tools, a demeter compulator clone can be build for around 50$.

6. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I don't know why people say it will cost more. Seems to me that it's much cheaper to build.

If you want to build a comp for bass though, stay away from many of the guitar kits.

7. nico485

nico485

Sep 10, 2010
    Arkansas, USA
    Not sure on cost effectiveness of a compressor but I just ordered a Big Muff Triangle version kit from ukelectronics. For me it was a lot cheaper than buying a vintage pedal. Hopefully I can put it together and it sound decent.

But for compressors, I'd say it's gonna be close $$$ to build or buy a cheap clone of something. All depends on if you want the experience of building it yourself or not.

If you buy one already made, check out Joyo or Caline or just search on eBay. Which also has compressor diy kits for $17.99 btw.

8. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia
    Building clone of cheap comp (like dynacomp) is waste of time / money.

But if you have the skill, clone of Compulator or Diamond Compressor is worth the effort & costs lot less than the original. Just search for pcb layout of those pedals. Compulator is very doable, while Diamond is crazy complex.

Currently, I'm collecting parts for Blower Box. I estimate it will cost me about 40$.

9. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Look up the Madbean Afterlife compressor. It's well reviewed, and doesn't seem like a difficult project.

jez79 likes this.
  10. Teijo K.

Teijo K. Commercial User

Sep 8, 2014
    Jyväskylä, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: CCP
    I dont know. Compressor is a delicate thing. I've built some DIY during the last year, but I bought the comp. Fuzz, od, distortion, preamp even. But not the comp.

11. Yup. A simple fuzz with low parts count is less likely to be fudged by a novice solder-jockey such as myself, and would be cheaper than buying a pre-built... but the comps, they're more complex with higher parts counts. Put it this way, even some non-comp pedals such as a Joyo American are going to be cheaper to buy than build.

I plan to build some comps but not just yet. On my to-do list (should be all good for bass):

1590A
    - Madbean Afterlife, as mentioned by TheEmptyCell
    - Rothwell Lovesqueeze

Larger enclosures
    - Diamond Clone, there's vero layouts but I'll likely go for a PCB. I can compare it to my own Diamond :smug:
    - BJFE/Bearfoot Pale Green & Evergreen in one box, splitting the highs and lows between the two circuits
    - BYOC Parametric Multi-band w/ Frank Appleton's suggested mods plus a couple extra of my own

Teijo K. likes this.
  12. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia
    Don't forget Bajaman's Compulator clone & Rothwell Love Squeeze clone (the original got good review on Ovnilab)

13. You could buy a Boss LMB-3 for less than setting up (if you don't already have the gear), however I would never discourage anyone from having a go themselves. I like making my own gear and do stuff for my mates (at cost + a couple of beers). It is very satisfying when you get complimented on its performance.

14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

If you want to further your education, or just take pride in building one for yourself, then I say: Go for it!

I'd be more inclined to sink the time and effort into building something you can't just buy (or can't buy for a reasonable price) rather than dupe an existing and readily available pedal.

Plenty of good compressors out there at all price points. I'd just buy one of those. (Come to think of it - I did!) :laugh:

But that's me.

15. After doing a lot of internet search , and heeding info on TB . I have decided not to bother building my own comp pedal !

Thanks to everyone ! :thumbsup: