Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Builders I should check out

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedGrange, Jun 30, 2001.

1. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I got fed up last week with my basses, and I unloaded all but my L-1505.

I'm in the market for 2 new basses. I want a 5 or 6 string frettless, and a 5 or 6 string fretted. So I want to get a 5 and a 6 in any combination.

I'm open to anything. I love the neck on my G&L. I'm looking for something along the same lines in neck feel, but not in looks. So no lakland or any high price 'fender clones' (and I mean no disrespect to anyone).

I've been looking at Bolin, Carl Thompson (it is a possibility), but I don't know many other companys.

Please list suggestions along with websites if you can. I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Why would you want two basses instead of one really nice one. Anyway, check out Zon and Spector. If you went with just one bass I'd take a look at MTD.

3. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I mean, I want 2 really nice basses.

I looking more into custom basses, rather than normal production. One of the ones I sold off was a Zon.

4. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    well someone already said Spector but if you want a custom www.jerzydrozdbasses.com have sweet customs and for u in usa thay are only about $3000.
    sweet but id rather a spector.
    later
    Lukas

5. www.magdonmusic.com/jackgtrs/index.htm

This is friend of mine, I played both of these basses, and they both rock....He will design anything you want....He has made others, but he does not put them all on the site....

The main site for this is www.magdonmusic.com
    Jack is the luthier there and one of the coolest guys I know...

6. you could always go with Alembic. Ken Smith and Warrior are some other options too.

7. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Did a gig tonight, my first with my Elrick. Rob Elrick really knows what he's doing ;)

9. i second the ken smith!

10. Babs

Babs

May 5, 2000
    Sandy Utah
    I would have to go with KINAL on that one, he is very easy to work with and will build it to your specs. Go check his website out at http://www.kinal.com and I am sure you can find something cool you want.

11. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I looked at frudua, wow.. that real bass is beautiful!

Elricks are damn good... what kind of neck do they have on them Brad?? I'm not a fan of wide thin necks, I like narrow fat ones

12. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    the real bass is an incredible instrument. i played one once and it was the bass i have tried the most similar to an electric upright. my teacher plays one and i love it!!

take a look at this picture...this bass in on sale on the italian ebay for the corrispetive of 200us$...

[​IMG]

13. My preference is Hanewinckel Guitars ( http://www.hanewinckelguitars.com/ ) in southern California. They make custom high-end basses at pretty reasonable prices. I already own a 7-string Hanewinckel and I'm awaiting the completion of a 7-string fretless.

Here's my current bass:
    [​IMG]

- Dave

14. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    oooopppss 2000us$

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A different way to approach it is how I started out - I submitted my specs to Luthiers Access Group www.luthiersaccessgroup.com and have them check YOU out instead of running from shop to shop. (BTW, they are running a sale at the site on old stock Glockenklangs, like demo units :D )

They shopped my spec's around for free and I got six competitive bids from such luthiers as Chris Stambaugh and Ken Lawrence.