1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Builders who make custom necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pnutz, Dec 6, 2018.

1. pnutz

pnutz Supporting Member

hi,

posted this question a couple of times in the 'luthier' forum and am following a suggestion to cast a wider net and ask around here in the 'basses' forum.

if inappropriate, mods please delete.

anywhoo, i have a custom neck that was made for me a few years ago. i'd like to 'clone' the neck for another bass body i have.

pretty straightforward job. but it seems a lot of luthiers are shying away from projects like this. and aftermarket companies (warmoth, keisel, etc.) only sell their products with no room for options.

if anyone has a line on a luthier/builder that still dabbles in custom necks, i'd appreciate a head's up.

thanks!

2. who

who

Apr 20, 2007
    Washington DC
    I'm quite sure Chris Stambaugh has done custom necks before, but I don't know if he still does, maybe @Jared Lash knows. I think Tom Clement has done some, but I could be wrong about that.

3. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
  4. pnutz

pnutz Supporting Member

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    As far as I know Chris still will.

6. pnutz

pnutz Supporting Member

thanks. also contacted them. he's got some nice pieces on his website.

7. pnutz

pnutz Supporting Member

Chris mentioned that his schedule is full and cannot take any side projects at this time.

one of the cats from GRTB did respond and wanted to touch base over the phone so will give them a call on my next day off.

any other suggestions on luthiers who can build a custom neck is appreciated. thanks!

8. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
  9. pnutz

pnutz Supporting Member

10. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
  11. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Well, thanks for the referral, but we (being Paul Slagle, Keith Horne, and myself) don't really do one-off custom necks any more. You can ask Paul, but I don't think he will. Keith and I are definitely out of that business.

The Pittman guitars and basses are Paul's own product line. They are Paul's design, and he does the painting (that's his specialty) and the final assembly/setup, and some part of the woodworking. How much varies from one instrument to the next. He subcontracts some portion of the work to Keith, particularly the main construction of the necks. Keith is really good at building necks, shaping them, doing fretwork, etc. In a labor exchange, Paul paints many of Keith's own line of instruments (the Marvin brand). I help out both of them, providing custom truss rods and special hardware, and some machining services.

Keith and I used make up some custom necks directly for customers, but these days, we only make them for each other; a small group of Luthiers here in the Los Angeles area. We certainly have the technical capability, but individual custom necks don't make sense for us as a business.

fretno likes this.
  12. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
  13. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I had that feeling , and why I waited to post you . I have the Pittman which is my Excalibur and also I have a Wilkins which I believe you made the neck for as well . My 2 favs by a country mile .

14. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Yes, Pat Wilkins and Mike Lipe are also in our little gang of Los Angeles Luthiers Who Work Together. Pat has some of his necks made by another company, and others are made by Mike Lipe with me doing a portion of the machining. I have three necks for Pat here right now. It depends on the instrument. And Pat paints most of Mike's guitars. We're a big happy family. We all subcontract to each other based on individual skills and availability. Most of us have been working together for 20+ years.

This week, Mike went in the hospital with a lung infection. Ugh. Keith and I are going to be scrambling to help him out, finishing up the necks for Mike's NAMM show instruments. To get them to Pat in time for painting.

fretno likes this.
  15. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Awesome ! I still hope for the day a instrument lover will do a nice editorial on all you guys and your history together . Hey best wishes for Mike & swift recovery !

My Wilkins
    iqnwrFQ.

Joshua likes this.
  16. pnutz

pnutz Supporting Member

thanks for the help guys. tom politely declined. will check in with robert's facility later on. :)

Datsgor likes this.