Building a 1964 Fender Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Designer, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Bass Designer

Bass Designer

Apr 10, 2018
    Manhattan
    Some years ago, I owned one Candy Apple Red made form an Adler body, Maple neck, Rosewood fingerboard, extended tuning keys, bone nut, split coil pickups with level pole pieces, cloth wiring, threaded saddle bridge, chrome pickup/bridge covers, white/black/white pick guard, and flat wound strings. Unfortunately, I was not the only one who loved this bass. It was stolen. I own several Pre CBS basses, however, miss the one I most favored.

After much thought, I've decided to build one using the information available. Through research I have found a few conflicting posts on materials used by Leo Fender. Through photos and memory, for example the "clay dots" were not white. They were yellowish red in color, and not made of clay. They were actually made of vulcanized fiberboard. Anyone who has knowledge of the materials and specifications used to build a 1964 Precision bass, even the smallest details would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021