Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

building a 4x8 or a 6x8 or 8x8?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve-o, May 9, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i am intrested in building a cab to go with my 410
    would a 4x8 etc.. go good woth the 410.
    what speakers would i use?
    what about carvin?
    everyone says that they have bad speakers but i bought a 15 form them and it sounds great!
    would any 8's take place of a 15 or a 410, 210?
    thanks for any help

steve

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    What kind of response are you looking for?

The Carvin 8s aren't very woofer like and won't go low like some commercially available woofer speakers.

You could use some Hi Fi woofers (like Peerless for example) to make a cabinet, but it would cost a fortune and Hi Fi woofers are so inefficient that you'd need a ton of power to keep up with your 4x10.

I've built a lot of cabinets in my day and I've learned that you don't save much money and in the long run they probably don't have much resale value. You're probably better off buying a good used cabinet...a Peavey 115 cab would be a good choice and they're available for around $150 or so. Avatar makes a nice cabinet too and new B115s are about $199 (or less on eBay).

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i already have a 15 cab
    i like how p-nut sounds from 311
    and i was just wondering

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I know who P-Nut is but I'm not familiar with his sound or 311's music.

I presume that you've seen the picture of his rig looking up from between the monitors. It's interesting to note that the only speaker with a microphone on it is one of the 10s in a Goliath III.
    I have no idea what he does in the studio...perhaps it's time to go to the library and look for 311 discs or see if there's a 311 track on the SWR CD that I have.

The Henry the 8x8 isn't a very efficient cabinet compared to other SWRs if you look at www.swrsound.com.

If you want a Henry type cabinet, you should look around for a bargain on one of them...

Have fun!!!!