1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Building a 5-string: EMG 40DC??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mcbrood, Oct 5, 2009.

1. mcbrood

mcbrood

Jun 27, 2006
    I'm building a 5string wenge/mahogany thru-neck fretted bass.

I'm really digging the simple look of the Anthony Jackson pPesentation Foderas and was thinking about making this bass a single soapbar, no preamp, with pickup covers to match the neck lam striping and just a slider for volume and MAYBE another for tone. I thought that'd look cool...

I have a couple of EMG 40DCs lying around, and was wondering if one of those would be any good for the job? I've read they're maybe not so versatile/don't respond well to EQing?

Also I can only get slider pots in a 50Kohm (EMG recommend 25Kohm), would that be OK?

Obviously any EQing would be done via the amp, so for the record I mainly play funk and jazz through a MarkBass LMII and goliath III 4x10 cab.

Thanks!

2. yngwiewho1

yngwiewho1

Mar 2, 2009
    Tomball, Tx
    from what i know you have to have 25k for active pickups, 50k wont work right. before you do that check out the emg 40 tws. 2 pickups in 1 that you can switch between. im putting 2 of them in my spector.

3. I bought some EMG 45DC's (same as the 40DC, just wider magnetic blades) and have been quite disappointed with the sound.

I then added the "all popular" aguilar obp-3 preamp which only made it muddier.

With that said, the bass is one of those stupid Ibanez Ergodynes, with a luthite (a.k.a plastic) body.

I am going to blame the bass for the **** sound, as so many have praised both the pickups and preamps as being great. The sound I have, might be just what you want for funk/jazz however, so ehmm.