Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

building a 6x10 or 8x10, and 3x10's, 10, 12 ,5?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve-o, Aug 4, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    what speakers are recomended to do this?
    and how should the cab be made?
    as two 410's in the 8x10? or 4 2x10's in the 8x10.
    and a 410 and a 2x10 in the 6x10? or all open?
    or three 2x10's?
    actually i would like to build two 3x10s. and put them next to each other. how would this work?
    or what about a 10 and a 12 and an 5 in one cab?
    or 15 ,10 and 5?

steve

2. Buy an El Whappo instead.

:D

I'm not at all being disrepectful, but if you are asking this question, it means you don't (yet) have the knowledge to build with success.

Without this knowledge, I encourage you to buy a quality cabinet and not waste your time, money, and frustration by building something that will probably sound crappy.

When you have the knowledge of how to do cabinet design, you take an information source such as my spread sheet, and can understand which drivers do what. Vance Dickason's "Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" is a very good place to start. When you have mastered that book, you will be ready to build something that sounds good.

After you've mastered that book, you will be as disappointed as I am, that there are no 10" drivers available to the general public that do what you want, and in a reasonable sized enclosure.

3. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA

So there are absolutely NO 10" drivers you can buy from Eminence or EV that are good for a small bass cab? That sort of sucks.

4. I have about 1,050 drivers and passive radiators in my spread sheet so far. Nothing for 10" drivers in small cabinets with any efficiency.

There are lots of 10" subs that will get way down, but they have AWFUL power requirements because they are terribly inefficient.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    bgavin, I agree that he needs some knowledge before he can successfully build a decent cabinet, but about 20 years of experience couldn't hurt, too. I suspect even the educated screw up quite a few cabs before they turn out a good one.

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    my friend use to build car and home stero stuff.
    would this be the same?

steve

7. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hi there,

Just wanted your opinion on a similar topic.

I found an article on the web by a guy called Len Moskowitz who has built small bass cab that he claims can handle the low B of a five string at volumes that could 'compete with guitar players playing stacks of Marshalls'.

Has anybody else read this article? Has anybody here tried building this cab? (this guy did - http://www.billsbest.com/thbasscab.html)

I was considering building something similar with 2 10" speakers instead of 1... what do you guys think?

Cheers

Ian C.

8. I built a pair of cabs using Len's design and was very happy with the results. They look and sound very good. I am a 4 string player and as such have never played a low B thru them so I can't comment on that but they do all I want for my 4 stringers. I play Blues , Jazz and some R & B so for most gigs one cab is enough. I use both if I have to and for any place where more is needed I run a line from my amp to the PA system. I use a Peavey Mega Bass amp which has two 200 watt amps built in and is biamp capable. I just run full range to both cabs. I have been playing for over 30 years and the old days of monster cabs and backaches are over...I can just toss one of these cabs in the back seat or trunk, put the amp next to it, grab a bass and go. No more roadies needed!!!! Some wood working experience would be helpful or get someone with the experience needed to help you. These are very do-able. And worth the effort.

9. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i have a 12 sub. and i know what the box size needs to be. know what 6's to you recomend? and the soft dome tweeters? are they same as they put into cars? or should i use a an 8? what would be the best combo of speakers?
    a 15? and 8?

thanks for all your help.
    i am going to put all of these in there own box inside of a box like the accu-grooves. and trust me i would be one if i had that much extra money hanging around.

steve

10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
  11. Compete with Marshalls? Only in FantasyLand... My daughter's band plays with Marshall Half Stacks... jeesus...

:D

The Moskowitz paper is a perfect example of a well documented project that performs as predicted. The #1759 Peerless driver is no longer available (bummer), but other Peerless drivers will do the job. Len matched the driver's Thiele-Small parameters to the correct cabinet and tuning frequency. And it works well (no kidding).

12. Emenence do a whole range of pretty good speakers and at the top a Kappa 15LF will get you there with a reasonable size cabinet. There has to be a trade off on efficiency if the cabinet is not to be a 6ft high by 3ft by 2 feet monster (and that's just the 15 - wiat till you get to the 10s) The LFs are less efficient but the higher efficiency like the Delta 15 (I have one) wants to see itself in a 590 litre vented cabinet which is about 4' x 3' x 2' - that's a lot of weight and wood. Go for a less efficent bass guitar specific speaker (you can even get a Widow from Peavey) and drive it harder with a bigger amp. I've had a Marshall and I have to say the design technicalities escape me - it's just hard driven by the amp. And there's a load of combos out there that pay no attention to cabinet technicalities. Your biggets problem is getting this cabinet you build to have a level response belo about 80hz. Get it wrong and you'll be wondering where the E string went.