Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Building a backup rig - poweramp suggestions for my situation?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Dec 24, 2003.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm very happy with my Eden WT-550, but would like a backup rig - just because.

I was always happy with the tone from my RBI/Carvin rig, but got tired of all the knob fiddling inherent to a preamp-poweramp rig. However, I could put up with it for a backup.

I'm thinking of finding an inexpensive 600W (at 4 Ohms) or so poweramp that I can drive with my Tech21 Landmark 60's effected line out. This little combo has fantastic SansAmp tone, and works very well as a kickback monitor. All I need is a poweramp to drive the Bags. If it could fit in my existing spare 2u rack bag (a shallow one), all the better.

Any suggestions that won't break the bank? I know there's a lot of inexpensive poweramps in this power range, but I haven't been keeping up with which brands are OK and which are crap. Can I safely assume the Samsons and Nadys aren't worth consideration? A PLX would be nice, but may be too much $$$ to justify for a backup.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Ken,

I've heard that the Nadys aren't the best but Sampsons aren't that bad. I think I read that they have power sections similar to Hartke bass heads. Sam Ash in Buffalo Grove has some sweet deals on Sampson amps right now. The 600 watt per channel amp was something like $279 when I was there the other day.

I bought a used Peavey DPC-1000 at the same store for just $200. I haven't gigged with it but it's doing fine for shaking the house. 1000 watts bridged into 8 ohms, 500 per channel into 4, 1U and 11 lbs....it's a winner in my book.

Last time I was there I believe that they had at least one used Mackie 1400i for about $400. I don't recall the 1400i's power ratings though.

A guy at work named some store in the City that sells Crowns below cost. I'll have to look and see if I made note of the shop as the guy got canned and I have no way to contact him.

Have fun!!!

3. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    My choice would be a QSC RMX 850. A little heavier than a PLX, but lots of great power. It will do 830w bridged at 4 ohm.

I bought mine new from the local GC for $275.