Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Building a Band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by count_funkula, Aug 31, 2001.

1. I have recently started listening to a lot of
    "Acid Jazz/ Jam Bands/ whatever you want to call them..". Bands like Galactic, Greyboy Allstars, etc.

Right now my only outlet for my playing is in Church, which I love, but I have a strong desire to get funky. What is the best way to hook up with other musicians who might be interested in jamming?

2. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    There is a musicians posting board on www.jambands.com . A year ago I made some drummer contacts on there, though none of them worked out...

You might also try the musician classifieds on www.harmonycentral.com . That's where I found half of my rock band... :)

3. post a note in a local music-store.. at least that's how we do it here in my home-town.. just hang up some sign saying what you need, and add a phone-nr on it.. then wait by the phone...

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This reminded me of a joke that used to be written on the walls of Ladies Public toilets - or so I'm told! ;)

(In one type of handwriting)

MY MOTHER MADE ME A LESBIAN

(further down in neater handwriting)

If I gave her the pattern do you think she could knit me one as well?

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
  6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    put ad's in all the local music stores, use the internet as a tool as well.

heres another site that has musician referal services
    www.taxi.com

another way to find players is to hang around places where musicians congregate and start talking to them.

7. Good tip for someone starting a band; I think you should develope a bond with your fellow band members, the best way to do this is find something you all hate and something you all like, such as you all hate Pepsi but you all like Coke. It developes a cool bond that allows you to make music more easily because you are more comfortable with each other.

8. Great suggestion. Once you get that group together, hanging around musicians also helps get gigs. Never hurts to be friendly and treat it like a business sometimes :)

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    One way is to go down to clubs and stuff on jam night, and sit in.

Well, one way, over here in Seattle, to gain exposure is to go to Folklife Festival (hey angus, if you have ever been there, and went into the Participate Hospitalty Place, ever see this quote written on the table: "I had a great time at the Forklift Festival!") get a stage for a while with a friend or something, and spend the rest of the festival at Bluegrass Hill.

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Actually, I was going to work at the last Folklife festival on one of the stages! I didn't, in the end, because something came up. :(

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

I think its best to treat it like a business unless your just jamming with friends, (for fun) this imo will help you to also avoid the jerkoffs. (for lack of better word)

12. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Really? They need good sound men. Last time i was there, there was no lead guitar at all on one stage, so all i could here was rythym guitar chords. (duo) And on an other stage there was a whole bunch of problems, the band kept on yelling at the soundman to raise the monitors, and he raised the fronts instead of the monitors, my god!!! An other one where you couldn't here the guitar. I found that a lot of soundmen will put the drums and bass way up, but everything else is low. How often do you go to Folklife?

13. Don't any of your fellow church goers fancy playing something different?

Here in the UK, I'd advertise in local papers, put cards up in local stores, and talk to as many musicians as poss. to get the word around.

I guess whether you treat it like a business or not depends on your ultimate aim. Ideally you want to hook up with people who want the same thing out of it as you, and they're not always easy to find.

Best of luck.
    Barb

14. pedrodiggler

pedrodiggler Guest

Sep 2, 2001
    woodstock canada
    I think that your best bet would be to go to clubs that play that kind of music and get to know people there, this way you're doing more than one thing at once, you're building contacts that you can use in the future and you're getting good perspective on how the other bands do their thing