1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Building a Bass amp for a school engineering project.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Calplaysbass, Oct 4, 2013.

1. 0-5kg

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  2. 5.1-10kg

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  3. 10.1-15kg

14 vote(s)
    29.8%
  4. 15.1-20kg

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  5. 20.1+kg

17 vote(s)
    36.2%
  1. Hey guys
    so as my threads title suggests i am building a solid state combo bass amp for my IVA project. From my research, I've discovered that amp manufactures arent really doing anything clever with their amps: they all seem to be just a speaker in a box. (correct me if im wrong)
    What I really want to know though, is should i build the amp with a flat response? (where every note is as loud as the next) or boost certain frequencies to give it a better quality sound?
    This amp has to be light, compact and portable and give a good low response for a 5 string bass.
    As the project goes on I may post a questionnaire and pictures for you guys to see and at the end, if all goes well Ill put instructions on how to make it up

cheers
    Cal :)

2. They're definitely more than a speaker in a box. SS amps can get pretty complex with PCBs and surface mount components - real spaghetti junction circuits. You should build a low power tube amp. Tube amps can be very simple and still sound great. Plus, all the glowing tubes would make a better display piece for your project.

3. The clever stuff is in taking industry standard featherlight switchmode power modules and tweaking their inputs and outputs to mimic traditional amps.

4. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    In Britain he won't be allowed to build a tube bass head it's the high DC voltages the teachers won't like!?. But then again he probably won't be allowed to play conker's in the play ground either.
    You'll have someone's eye out with that, you will:crying:

5. How many kilos of conkers can you carry one kilometre?

6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    So, about 40% of people think they'd be "comfortable" carrying 20kg for a km? ROFLMAO. Welcome to fantasy Island. The only way anyone would happily carry that load over a km is if it was in a backpack.

7. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Would that be with or without an area education authority risk assessment team involved?:bawl:

8. I know that theres obviously a circuit involved, but is it that which gives the amp its sound? also would a glass fibre cabinet make any difference to sound quality? i want to make this project as light as possible cos i plan to use it if it works.

9. No, it's all in the tolex.

10. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    Hah, I was thinking the same. Although, this is TB, and the amount of superhumans on here never ceases to amaze me.;)

Oh, and I'm not saying it can't be done, 20 kilos ain't really that heavy and I carry heavier loads every day at work, but the keyword here is "comfortably".

11. You should fire your research team for being lazy/inept. They should have found these bass cabs, and amps like this one.

12. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    It might be a good idea to design the carry unit along with the amp.

BTW I now use a Wizzy with my Eden amp and I believe it's under 20 kg for the pair

In fact after checking the specs it more like 10 Kg for the pair.

13. 44 pounds carried 0.62 miles? Sounds like having a kid... :bag:

I think it would really depend on the implementation of the handles/ergonomics.

14. Conkers carry conveniently.

Two 1x10's and the micro over a shoulder. 20kg no problem.

15. DeathFromBelow

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    Sure, carrying 20 kilos cradled in both arms is no problemo, but in one hand, with probably a bass in a gigbag on your back and maybe a bag of cables/pedals/BEER/whatever in the other hand comfortably..?

16. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    It's my opinion that the transducer generally has more to do with the sound. A well designed amp should not be light years form another well designed amp.

Speakers do tend to color the sound more.

17. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Everything gives a combo amp its sound. The magic is in getting all the parts to play nice together to produce pleasing sounds.

The cabinet material matters not too much. But it turns out that good ol' plywood has a pretty good ratio of stiffness to weight to damping. You can make FRP stiff enough but it may not be lighter than plywood when you're done.

For stiffness and lightness, you might be looking at carbon fiber. Bring money.

I know I've carried 20 Kg more than a mile when I've had to. But I don't know why 1 Km is the target distance. For a bass amp, a city block is the more reasonable upper bound. More than that and you're looking at something with wheels, IMO...

18. Depends on all the other crap you have to carry if you are bringing the kid. :D

19. DeathFromBelow

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    Haha, yeah, I guess so.

20. More to the point - The amount and distance I can easily/willingly carry something is proportional to the amount of money I am getting paid to do so.

Carry a 40 pound amp a half mile for funsies? No effing way.

Oh wait, there is $100 there waiting for me? I'll run.