1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

building a bass at Warmoth

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LowEndWooly, Oct 14, 2013.

1. LowEndWooly

LowEndWooly

Sep 3, 2013
    Indiana
    I've never given Warmoth much credit, but after fantasizing a build-a-bass, it seems like I can build a nearly perfect bass for myself. They even do the "sweet spot" of my favorite bass, the StingRay.

Here are my questions:

Has anyone made one of these and have experience? Does it play as nice as something like a MMSR? What about sound?

What were the specs that you got?

Have they ever produced a bad bass?

I was thinking about getting the tele style body and neck with the sweet spot MM pup on a semi hollow mahogany body. I've never played a semi, so what would that sound like? I heard it is more warm sounding and sustains longer, but would it be too warm where it's muddy in the lows?

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Try a search; lots of people here have built basses using Warmoth parts.

That said, from your post, I'm not sure if you understand that Warmoth does not sell complete basses. They supply very high quality parts only. Assembly is up to you (or your chosen luthier).

If you're interested in specifying exactly what you want but not sure about assembly, you might want to contact Nino Valenti. Highly reputable builder of customer-spec'd basses using high quality parts. Last I knew he was using more parts from USA Custom Guitars than Warmoth, but that may have changed since Warmoth finally(!) started offering carbon fiber reinforcements as an option for their necks.

3. LowEndWooly

LowEndWooly

Sep 3, 2013
    Indiana
    interesting.. I knew they were not completed, but I thought it was just like screwing the neck on and throwing the hardware and pups/preamp on. Is that difficult?

I haven't heard of USA custom, so I'll check 'em out, too..

I'll also do a more thorough search.. I typed Warmoth and glanced through, did't see much; that's why I started this thread.. but I'll look again.

4. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It can be close, but not necessarily all. They offer to install and cut the nut, and install the frets and so forth but that doesn't guarantee a bass that plays correctly with just bolting it together and installing the hardware. Now, it *can* go down like that, but they don't PLEK or setup the instrument and do a per-instrument nut and fret job, and you'll have to shield the pickup/electronic cavities yourself, so there's going to be some extra elbow grease on top of the ordered product.

Not a ton, mind you, but if you're not comfortable doing it yourself, it might run you the cost of a new nut, fret job, setup, and electronics install from a tech ($~200+)

5. I put together a Warmoth project at the end of 2011. Its true, all they supply is parts...they will not actually build you a bass.

But it really doesn't take much know how to put together what they send you. Took me some time to do it, but in the end I have an amazing, one of a kind bass that is perfect for everything I want and need that I put together myself.

I have GAS like everyone else does, but when I play my Warmoth I have never thought "oh I wish I had this on here" because I ordered exactly what I wanted. And luckily my tastes haven't changed.

If you want any more info PM me.