1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Building a bass cab, question on driver specs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Saddle, May 4, 2010.

1. Saddle

Saddle

Apr 28, 2010
    Southern Idaho
    My first post here after being a lurker...

I like to dabble in building speakers and design, but what is a good starting point, when selecting a raw speaker to be used as a bass cab?

Probably a 4th order, vented. Infinite baffle suites me fine as well. I just know from building speakers in the past, there are some of the T/S specs that make it easier to sort through all the raw drivers for a decent starting point. Qtc, VAS, etc.

Thanks in advance!
    Saddle

2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Probably best to hit up the Fearful threads, everything is discussed at length and in detail, which might deter you from reading them all, if it does do this, you are probably best using the Fearful plans. The complicated stuff is done for you, and there is plenty of flex there in various ways to make the project your own.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Yeah, there's a ton of good info in the fearful threads. It's also very long and can get tedious separating the hard info from the general discussion but I'd start there anyway.

All the specs are going to have some effect on your final outcome but an easy way to narrow your woofer list is to toss out drivers that are low in SPL and/or xmax or that are high in fs. That should still leave you a pretty good list of suspects. Then start digging up response charts and modeling.

4. Saddle

Saddle

Apr 28, 2010
    Southern Idaho
    Thanks all! I found the thread and there is a ton there to read through. Thanks for your help!