Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

building a bass, electronics recomendations

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CrackBass, May 10, 2005.

1. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    i will soom be building a bass guitar. i haven't decided on the body woods yet but i'll probably go with something fairly lightwieght. the neck is going to be all maple. i am going to put a set of jazz pickups in this one. (definately an active pre) i just don't know exactly which pickups or electronics. i want a sound that can transition from fingerstyle to slap without a lot of tweaking. i'm not into extreme low end, i like tight bass, present mids (not honky but not scooped) and smooth highs. i want the active eq mosly for dialing in the room so i can tweak from my bass on the fly instead of going back to my amp and messing with the eq. i've got a few ideas but i would like to see what the tb collective has to say.

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    What's your budget for -

1) p/u's?

2) pre-amp?

Your answer will have a large impact on what you could potentially use.

R

3. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    p.s. I used to live in Capshaw, AL just north of 72 and west of County Line Rd. How's the employment and housing markets these days?

4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I have EMGs in my Jazz basses at present, but to give me a wider range of options on the new one I'm building I have gone for Nordstrands NJ4SE with a J-Retro, based on other instruments I've played or heard, sound clips and reading/research. I'm pretty confident these will give me the tone and versatility I'm after. The bass should be finished in a couple of weeks - I'll post here when I've got it together. I'm interested to hear what you're thinking of at present and what you might think of my choices.

5. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    i haven't really considered money as a huge factor, i'm mostly after sound. however if i had to give a number i'd say 200-400 bucks. that kinda puts the nordstrans and j or u retro a little out of budget. i am however a little flexible. also it's a rear route body so # of nobs and placement of controls are up in the air. i was kinda thinking of some dimazio j's and a seymore duncan 3 band tentatively, but i'm not sure if i want to go super boutique instead. maby i'll just keep it simple, but maby i wont. also all the emg's i've ever played through seem too scooped and get lost in the mix, but i like the tone. go figure.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Excellent choices!! That is exactly how my '97 MIA Jazz is setup. I totally love it. I realize there are other nice pickups out there, but for me, Carey's pickups are the absolute best. Every bass I play will have Nordies in it.

-Mike

7. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    I am working three projects that include a J p/u, and will utilize the following:

* bass A will have an NJ4SE in the neck and a MM4.4 (with 3-way tap switch) in the bridge with an 18v U Retro Deluxe pre-amp. I am really looking forward to testing Carey's newest MM type p/u in this bass!

* bass B will have Sadowsky humbucking J p/u's with a (9v or 18v) Sadowsky pre-amp with the Vintage Tone Control circuit. I debated forever between the Sadowsky pre and an Aguilar OPB-3, and finally decided to go for it and build a poor man's Sadowsky

* bass C will have either a Bart or Nordstrand P/J set with an 18v Bart NTMB active/passive pre with 3-way mid frequency selection

It will be interesting to hear the differences in tone between these basses. I am considering the use of a quick connect plug between the p/u and pre-amp so that I can easily swap out p/u's should I decide to test drive other makes/models

So far I am beyond impressed with the service/support provided by John East and his team :hyper: , Carey Nordstrand :bassist: , and Brian at BestBassGear.com :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: (a TB sponsor to boot!) Too bad I can't say the same for the guys at Bart :help:

R

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Swamp ash? Light, bright and punchy.
    African mahogany? Even, deep tone.

I remember these two to be quite light, but with good (but radically different) tone. Do some research as the wood matters, too

Read the comparisons around here, like Luknfur's p-up comparisons